This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Measurements of the Longitudinal Traction Properties of Truck Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A mobile dynamometer has been constructed for measurement of the longitudinal force/slip characteristics of truck tires. The application of this apparatus in testing of a preliminary sample of tires has indicated that the shear force production properties of truck tires differ in many respects from the corresponding behavior of passenger car tires. These differences are discussed in terms of shear force sensitivity to a number of operating variables. The inadequacy of current semi-empirical tire models in representing truck tire traction is noted.
|Technical Paper||The Use of the Mobile Tire Traction Dynamometer in Research|
|Technical Paper||Specific Requirements of Vehicle Chassis Tuning for the Indian Market|
CitationErvin, R. and Fancher, P., "Preliminary Measurements of the Longitudinal Traction Properties of Truck Tires," SAE Technical Paper 741139, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741139.
- Davisson J. A. “Design and Application of Commercial Type Tires.” SAE Special Publication SP-344 January 1969
- Freudenstein G. “Pneumatic Tires When Running at an Angle or on Curves.” Deutsche Kraftfahrtforschung und Strassenverkehrstechnik 1961
- Ginn J. L. Marlowe R. L. “Road Contact Forces of Truck Tires as Measured in the Laboratory.” SAE Transactions 76 1976 paper 670493
- Tielking J. T. Fancher P. S. Wild R. E. “Mechanical Properties of Truck Tires.” Paper 730183 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Detroit January 1973
- Eagleburger J. D. “Tire Research Applied to Vehicle System Safety.” Vehicle Safety Research Integration Symposium U.S. Department of Transportation, DOT HS-820 306 May 30-31 1973
- Dijks A. “Wet Skid Resistance of Car and Truck Tires.” Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA 2 2 May 1974 102 116
- Williams T. Meades J. K. Riley B. S. “The Wet Road Grip of Lorry Tyres: A Comparison of Three Types.” Transport and Road Research Laboratory Report LR 544 Crowthorne Berkshire, England 1973
- Bird K. D. Martin J. F. “The Calspan Tire Research Facility: Design, Development, and Initial Test Results.” Paper 730582 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1973
- Bernard J. B. Winkler C. B. Fancher P. S. “A Computer Based Mathematical Method for Predicting the Directional Response of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” HSRI Report UM-HSRI-PF-73-1 National Technical Information Service