This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Understanding Tire Intermix Through the Cornering Compliance Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There are many ways to describe the factors contributing to the directional control dynamics of motor vehicles. The cornering compliance concept is particularly applicable to the tire intermix situation since it helps to separate the front and rear contributions to total vehicle performance. The relationship between cornering compliances and vehicle response properties, discussed in previous papers, is reviewed. The contribution of tire mechanical properties to cornering compliance is described. Typical compliance levels associated with intermix of generic tire types, wear states, and brands are listed.
|Technical Paper||NONLINEAR STABILITY AND RESPONSE OF CAR-TRAILER COMBINATIONS|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer|
CitationLeffert, R., Riede, P., and Rasmussen, R., "Understanding Tire Intermix Through the Cornering Compliance Concept," SAE Technical Paper 741104, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741104.
- Nordeen, D.L. “Vehicle Directional Control Equations for an Inclined Roll Axis” GM Engineering Publication A-2165 1969
- Segel, L. “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control” Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Proceedings 1956 170
- Bundorf, R. T. Leffert, R. L. “The Cornering Compliance Concept for Description of Directional Control (Handling) Properties” GM Engineering Publication 2771
- O'Hagan, J. T. King, J. J. “A New Procedure for Determining On-The-Road Vehicle Directional Response Characteristics” SAE Preprint 700370 1970
- Bundorf, R. T. Moore, R. C. “Measurement of Vehicle Directional Control Properties” GM Safety Seminar Paper No. 19 1968
- “Driver-Vehicle Response Research” NHTSA RFP No. NHTSA-3-B854 1973
- Nordeen, D. L. “Vehicle Handling: Its Dependence Upon Vehicle Parameters” GM Publication GMR-423 1964
- Bundorf, R. T. “The Influences of Vehicle Design Parameters on Characteristic Speed and Understeer” GM Publication 3203 1965
- Leffert, R. L. “Instrumentation for Characteristic Speed Measurement” GM Publication A-2264 1968
- Vehicle Dynamics Terminology SAE J670C, SAE Handbook Supplement January 1973
- Nedley, A. L. Wilson, W. J. “A New Laboratory Facility for Measuring Vehicle Parameters Affecting Understeer and Brake Steer” SAE Preprint 720473 May 1972
- Rasmussen, R. E. Ritter, T. E. Kristofetz, W. S. Cortese, A. D. “Design of Laboratory Equipment for Routine Tire Force and Moment Testing” SAE Preprint 720472 May 1972
- Ervin, R. D. Grote, P. Fancher, P. S. MacAdam, C. C. Segel, L. “Vehicle Handling Performance - Summary Report” Final Report Contract DOT-HS-031-1-159
- “Rubber Manufacturers Association Tire Application Guide” Code-TAC-3-74 1974
- Peterson, K. G. Rasmussen, R. E. “Mechanical Properties of Radial Tires” SAE Preprint 730500 May 1973