This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Interpretation of Shaft Seal Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The radial lip shaft seal is a necessary, important component of modern machinery. A multitude of materials and designs exist for a variety of applications. The manufacturer must choose a seal type that will satisfy the conditions of the application with high reliability and long life. Confidence in the choice is gained through functional testing. Typical functional tests involve four to twelve seals. These tests are usually run under accelerated conditions. The seals must perform without leakage for a given period of time (typically 100-500 h). This technique (success testing) provides limited information with low confidence levels. Nothing is learned about the failure rate distribution of the general population of seals.
A more meaningful statistical procedure, Weibull analysis, is discussed and applied to seal testing. Experimental data are supplied and analyzed. The Weibull charts are used to determine the reliability and the limitations of seal design and material with high confidence levels.
|Technical Paper||A Vendor Quality and Reliability Incentive Procurement Program|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Warranty Extension: Application for Engine and Transmission|
CitationHorve, L., "Statistical Interpretation of Shaft Seal Performance," SAE Technical Paper 741044, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741044.
- Harvard Computation Laboratory “Tables of the Cumulative Binomial Probability Distribution.” Harvard University Press 1955
- National Bureau of Standards “Tables of the Binomial Probability Distribution.” Applied Mathematics 1950
- “Tables of Probabilities for use in Discovery Sampling.” IBM Internal Report Staff Manufacturing September 1970
- Weibull W. “A Statistical Distribution Function of Wide Applicability.” J. of Appl. Mech. 18 293 7 1951
- Kao J.H.K. “A New Life Measure for Electron Tubes.” IRE Transactions on R and QC 1 11 April 1957
- Kao J.H.K. “A Summary of Some New Techniques of Failure Analysis.” Proceedings of Sixth Symposium of R and QC 90 201 1960
- “Formula Found for Predicting the Reliable Life of Bearings.” Product Engineering 64 65 December 1966
- Berrettoni J.N. “Practical Applications of the Weibull Distribution.” National Convention Transactions ASQC 303 323 1962
- Johnson L.G. “The Median Ranks of Sample Values in their Population.” Industrial Mathematics 2 1951