This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Test Aerodynamic Instrumentation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two methods for obtaining aerodynamic pitching moment and lift information have been developed using road tests of drivable vehicles. First, improvements in the dynamics of manometer tubes make onboard measurement of pressure distributions feasible. Second, a method for determining pressure distributions on a vehicle's underside from the road is valuable in verifying the accuracy of wind tunnel tests; no vehicle modifications are required. Both methods should improve the state-of-the-art in automobile aerodynamic instrumentation and testing.
|Technical Paper||EUROPEAN POSTWAR CARS|
|Journal Article||Aerodynamic Impact of Tractor-Trailer in Drafting Configuration|
CitationBuckley, B., "Road Test Aerodynamic Instrumentation," SAE Technical Paper 741030, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/741030.
- Esper A. H. “Early Wind Tunnel Testing at Ford Motor Company.” SAE SP-180 National Automotive Meeting Detroit March 1960
- Beauvais F. N. Tignor S. C. Turner T. R. “Problems of Ground Simulation in Automobile Aerodynamics.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680121
- Morelli A. “General Layout Characteristics of a New Wind Tunnel for Aerodynamic and Functional Tests on Full Scale Vehicles.” Paper 710214 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Ohtani K. Takei M. Sakamoto H. “Nissan Full-Scale Wind Tunnel - Its Application to Passenger Car Design.” Paper 720100 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Mason, W. T. Jr. Beebe P. S. Schenkel F. K. “An Aerodynamic Test Facility for Scale-Model Automobiles.” Paper 730238 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Mason, W. T. Jr. Sovran G. “Ground-Plane Effects on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Automobile Models-An Examination of Wind Tunnel Test Technique.” General Motors Research Laboratories Report GMR-1378 April 1973
- Bettes W. H. “Aerodynamic Testing of High Performance Land-Borne Vehicles-A Critical Review.” Aerodynamics of Sports and Competition Automobiles, AIAA Symposium Los Angeles April 1968
- Takahashi Y. Auslander D. Rabins M. “Control.” Reading, Mass. Addison Wesley 1970
- Buckley S. “Vehicle-Surface Interaction.” University of California-Berkeley September 1972
- Graduate Aeronautical Laboratories, California Institute of Technology “Experimental Aerodynamic Characteristics of Vehicles in Confined Spaces.” Urban Mass Transportation Administration D.O.T. December 1972