This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Temporary Viscosity Loss of Engine Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study on the temporary viscosity loss under high shear rates of engine lubricants was started in order to:
- 1.Set up a new viscometer, more correlate with the engine than the present ones.
- 2.Clarify the influence of this phenomenon on the lubricant performances.
Preliminary results on a pressoviscometer are discussed.
Namely it is underlined that the temporary viscosity loss affects both multigrade and unigrade oils, even if at different levels, and in different ways.
CitationBusetto, G., Giulio, U., and Volpi, E., "Temporary Viscosity Loss of Engine Oils," SAE Technical Paper 740976, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740976.
- Jakobsen J. Sanborn D. M. Winer W. O. “Simulation of Severe Shear Conditions in Lubrication.” Paper 730482 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1973
- Klaus E. E. Fenske M. R. “Some Viscosity-Shear Characteristics of Lubricants.” Lubrication Engineering March-April 1955 101 108
- Fleming, C. L. Jr. Geddes B. W. Hakala N. V. Weisel C. A. “Performance of High V.I. Motor Oils.” SAE Quarterly Transaction 4 July 1950
- Bramhall A. D. Wright B. “Rig Tests to Predict Viscosity Losses of Multigrade Oils in Service.” Institute of Petroleum Symposium Montreux (Switzerland) April 1973
- Lonstrup T. F. Sequeira J. S. “Prediction of Viscosity Stability of Multigrade Motor Oils.” Institute of Petroleum Symposium Montreux (Switzerland) April 1973
- Bartz W. J. Wissussek D. “Shear Stability of Lubricating Oils with non-Newtonian Flow Behaviour.” Institute of Petroleum Symposium Montreux (Switzerland) April 1973
- Messina N. V. Radtke H. H. “Viscosity Stability of Polimer-Thickened Oils.” Paper 700053 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Preuss A. F. Stambaugh R. L. Radtke H. H. “Viscosity Stability of Multigraded Crankcase Oils.” Paper 680070 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Lyons J. A. “High Shear Viscometry.” Esso Symposium Milano (Italy) May 1973
- Johnson R. H. Wright W. A. “The Rheology of a Multigraded Motor Oil.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680072
- Wright W. A. Johnson R. H. “Rheological Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluid.” Paper 680437 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- Rosenberg R. C. “A Method for Determining the Influence of Multigraded Oils on Journal Bearing Performance.” Paper 730483 (SP-382) SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1973
- Hunstad N. A. “Metrication Engine Oil and Gear Lubricant” SAE Fuels and Lubricants Technical Committee Open Forum on Metrication Milwaukee September 1973
- Walters K. “New Concepts in Theoretical and Experimental Rheology.” Institute of Petroleum, Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the British Society of Rheology Nottingham (England) July 1972
- Hutton J. F. “The Rheology of Petroleum-Based Lubricating Oils and Greases: A Review.” Institute of Petroleum, Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the British Society of Rheology Nottingham (England) July 1972
- Davies M. J. Walter K. “The Behaviour of non-Newtonian Lubricants in Journal Bearings. A Theoretical Study.” Institute of Petroleum, Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the British Society of Rheology Nottingham (England) July 1972
- Trachman E. G. Cheng H. S. “Thermal and non-Newtonian Effects on Traction in Elastohydrodynamic Contacts.” Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication 1972 Symposium Tribology Group of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Leeds (England) April 1971
- Dyson A. “Flow Properties of Mineral Oils in Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication.” Phil Trans. R. Soc. A 1965 258 529
- Van Wazer J. R. Lyons J. W. Kim K. Y. Colwell R. E. “Viscosity and Flow Measurement.” New York Inter-science Publishers 1963
- Eirich F. R. “Rheology, Theory and Application.” New York Academic Press 1972
- Lo R. S. “Digital Simulation of Engine Lubrication Systems.” Paper 710205 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971