This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Welding With a High-Power CO2 Laser
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The application of a production-oriented high-power CO2 laser system for the welding of auto underbody components is reported. Sheet metal sections, varying in thickness from 0.060-0.135 in, are welded at speeds up to 500 in/min at 6 kW. An overview of recent developments in laser welding is presented along with a discussion of the laser deep-penetration weld phenomenon. A comparison is made between laser and electron-beam welding performance.
CitationBall, W. and Banas, C., "Welding With a High-Power CO2 Laser," SAE Technical Paper 740863, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740863.
- Brown C. O. Davis J. W. “Electric Discharge Convection Lasers.” IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting Washington, D.C. October 1970
- Davis J. W. Brown C. O. “Electric Discharge Convection Lasers.” Paper 72-722 AIAA 5th Fluid and Plasma Dynamics Conference June 1972 Boston
- Brown C. O. Banas C. M. “Deep-Penetration Laser Welding.” AWS 52nd Annual Meeting San Francisco April 1971
- Tong H. Giedt W. H. “Depth of Penetration During Electron Beam Welding.” Paper 70-WA/HT-2 ASME Winter Annual Meeting New York November 1970
- Baardsen E. L. Schmatz D. J. Bisaro R. E. “High-Speed Welding of Sheet Steel with a CO 2 Laser.” AWS Jrl. April 1973
- Locke E. “Deep-Penetration Welding with High-Power CO 2 Lasers.” AWS Jrl. May 1972
- Banas C. “Laser Welding Developments.” Proceedings of the CEGB International Conference on Welding Ralated to Power Plants London, England September 1972
- Banas C. “Comparison of Electron Beam, Laser Beam, and Plasma Arc Welding of Titanium.” NASA Report CR-132386 March 1974
- Breinan E. Banas C. M. “Preliminary Evaluation of Laser Welding of Arctic Pipeline Steel.” Welding Research Council Bulletin #201 December 1974
- Hablanian M. H. “A Correlation of Welding Variables.” Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Electron Beam Technology 1963
- Webster J. W. “Welding at High Speed with the CO 2 Laser.” Metal Process November 1970