This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Maritime VSTOL - The Development of Small Ship Helicopter Operations in the Royal Navy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Royal Navy now deploys helicopters in all its escorts. The pattern and concept of operations from small ships have evolved over the years and detailed study of the control, landing, and deck handling of the helicopter have affected both ship and aircraft design. Similarly, a maintenance and support organization has grown out of the need to supervise the activities of over 40 separate embarked units.
CitationBathurst, D., "Maritime VSTOL - The Development of Small Ship Helicopter Operations in the Royal Navy," SAE Technical Paper 740820, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740820.
- Brie R. A. C., “A History of British Rotocraft 1965-1965.” Westland Helicopters Ltd.
- “A page from Helicopter History.” The Flettner Story Flying Review January 1965
- Johnston J. B. B. “The Operation of Helicopters from Small Ships.” Report No. 121 of AGARD
- Ciastula T. L. “The Development of the P531.” Jr1. Royal Aeronautical Soc. June 1964
- Bryson L. B. Heenan F. E. Johnson C. A. “Helicopters in the Royal Navy.” Jr1. Royal Aeronautical Soc. August 1972