This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonsteady Flow in a Turbocharger Nozzleless Radial Gas Turbine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of an extensive test program investigating the nonsteady flow performance of a nozzleless radial gas turbine in a special rig show that the measured mass flow rate and power are different from predicted values using turbine steady flow test data. Furthermore, when the results are correlated against the form factor and pulse frequency, the overall mass flow predictions are substantially independent of these two parameters but the power predictions are strongly influenced by them. Measured power to the predicted power based on steady flow data decreases as the pulse shape approaches sinusoidal form, thus indicating that the internal losses in the turbine are related to the nonsteady flow conditions within it. The tests showed that the form factor was dependent on pipe length, pulse frequency, mean pressure in the pipe, and turbine casing size. For the rig there was an optimum form factor for each combination of pipe, turbine casing, and mean pressure ratio across the turbine. It is deduced that the pulse shape is not only dependent on the normal factors, such as pipe diameter and length, and turbine cross-sectional area, but also on scroll length, and that this, in turn, influences the nonsteady flow within the turbine.
CitationBenson, R., "Nonsteady Flow in a Turbocharger Nozzleless Radial Gas Turbine," SAE Technical Paper 740739, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740739.
- Wallace F.J. Adgey J. “Theoretical Assessment of the Non-Steady Performance of Inward Radial Flow Turbines.” Proc. I.Mech.E. 182 1967-1968 22
- Daneshyar H. Edwards K. J. Horlock J. H. Janota M. Pearson R. D. Shaw R. “A Comparison of the Performance of Three Model Axial Flow Turbines Tested Under Both Steady and Pulse Flow Conditions.” Proc. I.Mech.E. 184 1969-1970
- Benson R. S. Scrimshaw K. “An Experimental Investigation of Non-Steady Flow in a Radial Gas Turbine.” Proc. I.Mech.E. 180 1965-1966 74 85
- Benson R. S. “Prediction of Performance of Radial Gas Turbines in Automotive Turbochargers.” Paper 71-Gt-66 ASME Gas Turbine Conference Houston March 1971
- Ghirllando R. “Experiments of an Axial Flow Turbine and a Sinusoidal Pulse Generator.” University of Liverpool 1969
- Benson R. S. Whitfield A. “A Quasi Steady Flow Representation of Centrifugal Performance Characteristics in Non-Steady Flow Systems.” Proc. I.Mech.E. 182 1967-1968 197 208