This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Combustion Chamber Shape and Spark Location on Exhaust Nitric Oxide and Hydrocarbon Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fleet Week
The effects of combustion chamber shape and spark location on exhaust NO and HC emissions were investigated using a single-cylinder, 4-stroke, reciprocating, spark ignition engine. A total of 21 spark locations were evaluated in three combustion chamber configurations. The chamber shapes included a modified wedge, a disc, and a modified hemisphere. The engine was operated at constant speed and airflow, with optimum spark timing and peak NO air-fuel ratio.
Both combustion chamber shape and spark location had substantial effects on NO and HC emissions. Deductive prediction of these effects was not possible due to incomplete knowledge of the patterns of pollutant distribution and mixture movements within the combustion chamber.
It is recommended that chamber shape and spark location effects be evaluated experimentally in any new engine design.
CitationWentworth, J., "Effects of Combustion Chamber Shape and Spark Location on Exhaust Nitric Oxide and Hydrocarbon Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 740529, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740529.
- Daniel W. A. Wentworth J. T. “Exhaust Gas Hydrocarbons-Genesis and Exodus.” PT-6, “Vehicle Emissions Part I.” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964 192 205
- Lavoie G. A. Heywood J. B. Keck J. C. “Experimental and Theoretical Study of Nitric Oxide Formation in Internal Combustion Engines.” Combustion Science and Technology 1 1970 313 326
- Muzio L. J. Newhall H. K. Starkman E. S. “Spatial and Temporal History of Nitrogen Oxides in the SparkIgnition Combustion Chamber.” Paper C138/71, Conference on Air Pollution Control in Transport Engines, Inst. Mech. Engineers November 1971
- Quader A. A. “Effects of Spark Location and Combustion Duration on Nitric Oxide and Hydrocarbon Emissions.” Paper 730153 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Varde K. Lucas G. G. “Emissions and Spark Plug Location.” Jrl. of Automotive Engineering June 1973 22 23
- Sakai Y. Miyazaki H. Mukai K. “The Effect of Combustion Chamber Shape on Nitrogen Oxides.” Paper 730154 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Dodd A. E. Holubecki Z. “Atmospheric Pollution from Petrol Engines-Effect of Combustion Chamber Design and Other Variables on the Emissions from a Single-Cylinder Engine.” Motor Industry Research Assoc., Report 1971/7 June 1971
- Dartnell P. L. Lamarque P. V. “The Effect of Combustion Chamber Shape and Other Engine Design Factors on Exhaust Emissions.” Inst. Mech. Eng. 183 November 1968
- Wentworth J. T. “The Piston Crevice Volume Effect on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emission.” Combustion Science and Technology 4 2 October 1971 97 100
- Wentworth J. T. “A New Exhaust Pipe Sampling Valve.” General Motors Research Laboratories, GMR-766 May 6 1968
- Rassweiler G. M. Withrow L. “Flame Temperatures Vary with Knock and Combustion Chamber Position.” SAE Transactions 30 1935 125 136
- Muzio L. J. Starkman E. S. Caretto L. S. “The Effect of Temperature Variations in the Engine Combustion Chamber on Formation and Emissions of Nitrogen Oxides.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710158
- Wentworth J. T. “More on the Origins of Exhaust Hydrocarbons-Effects of Zero Oil Consumption, Deposit Location, and Surface Roughness.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720939
- Caris D. F. Mitchell B. J. McDuffie A. D. Wyczalek F. A. “Mechanical Octanes for Higher Efficiency.” SAE Transactions 64 1956 76 100
- Andon J. Marks C. “Engine Roughness The Key to Lower Octane Requirement.” SAE Transactions 72 1964 636 658
- Blumberg P. Kummer J. T. “Prediction of NO Formation in Spark-Ignited Engines-An Analysis of Methods of Control.” Combustion Science and Technology 4 1971 73 95
- Wentworth J. T. “Piston and Ring Variables Affect Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680109
- Wentworth J. T. “Effect of Combustion Chamber Surface Temperature on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Concentration.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710587