This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Digital Simulation Technique for Crashworthy Analysis of Aircraft Seats
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new digital computer program has been developed for crashworthy analysis of seating systems in light aircraft. The program utilizes a three-dimensional mathematical model of a seat, occupant, and restraint system to predict the effectiveness of the seat and restraint system in protecting the occupant from the injurious environment of a survivable crash. Input data include detailed descriptions of the seat and restraint system designs. The three-dimensional response of the occupant is predicted for any given set of aircraft impact conditions, impacts of occupant extremities against cabin surfaces are recorded, and the injury potential for a given case is measured in terms of various criteria. The paper includes descriptions of the mathematical development of the model and the organization of the computer program.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Aircraft Seat Response to a Crash Environment|
|Technical Paper||Crashworthiness Analysis of Aircraft Seats Using Program SOM-LA|
|Technical Paper||Validation of SOM-LA Occupant Response|
CitationLaananen, D., "A Digital Simulation Technique for Crashworthy Analysis of Aircraft Seats," SAE Technical Paper 740371, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740371.
- Young R. D. “A Three-Dimensional Mathematical Model of an Automobile Passenger.” Texas Transportation Institute Research Report 140-2 August 1970
- Bartz J. L. “A Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Victim, Phase I-Development of the Computer Program.” Final Report on U.S. DOT Contract FH11-7592 July 1971
- Robbins D. H. Bennett, R. O. Jr. Bowman B. M. “User-Oriented Mathematical Crash Victim Simulator.” Proceedings of Sixteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1972 paper 720962
- Dempster W. T. Gaughran G. R. L. “Properties of Body Segments Based on Size and Weight.” American Journal of Anatomy 120 1967 33 54
- Clauser C.E. McConville J. T. Young J. W. “Weight, Volume, and Center of Mass of Segments of the Human Body.” Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Technical Report 69-70 Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio August 1969
- Dempster W. T. “Space Requirements of the Seated Operator.” Wright Air Development Center Technical Report 55-159 Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio July 1955
- Hanavan E. P. “A Mathematical Model of the Human Body.” Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Technical Report 64-102 Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio October 1964
- Dreyfuss H. “The Measure of Man-Human Factors in Design.” New York Whitney Publications, Inc. 1960
- Brinkley J. W. “Development of Aerospace Escape Systems.” Air University Review XIX July-August 1968 34 49