This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
T-Tail Aerodynamics of the Super King Air
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Super King Air Model 200 is Beech Aircraft's latest entry into the executive turboprop airplane market. Principal design features include a T-tail empennage and 850 SHP PT6A-41 powerplants widely spaced on a high-aspect-ratio wing. This paper presents a discussion of the preliminary studies of the T-tail and the results of preliminary wind tunnel tests. The rationale and design philosophy for satisfactory stall characteristics are discussed; and the development wind tunnel tests, the flight simulator tests, and the development flight-test program are reviewed.
CitationTumlinson, R. and Walter, H., "T-Tail Aerodynamics of the Super King Air," SAE Technical Paper 740370, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740370.
- Marr R. L., “A Method for Analyzing Power-On Static Longitudinal Stability.” Paper 700238 presented at SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting, Wichita, March 1970.
- Smith R. E., “Influence of an Aft C.G. on Longitudinal Flying Qualities.” Paper 720318 presented at SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting, Wichita, March 1971.
- Chalk C. R., Neal T. P., Harris T. M., Pritchard F. E., and Woodcock R. J., “Background Information and User Guide for MIL-F-8785B (ASG)”; “Military Specification-Flying Qualities of Rioted Airplanes”; “Air Force Flight Dynamics Laboratory Report AFFDL-TR-69-72,” August 1969.
- Byrnes A. L., Hensleigh W. E., and Tolue L. A., “Effect of Horizontal Stabilizer Vertical Location on the Design of Large Transport Aircraft.” Jrl. of Aircraft, March-April 1966.
- Schwell Richard S. and Roger D. Schauffle, “Aerodynamic Design Features of the DC-9,” AIAA Paper 65-738 presented at the NAA/RAeS/JSASS Aircraft Design and Technology meeting, November 1965.
- Taylor R. T. and Ray E. J., “Factors Affecting the Stability of T-Tail Transports.” Jrl. of Aircraft, July-August 1966.
- Powers Bruce G., “A Parametric Study of Factors Influencing the Deep-Stall Pitch-Up Characteristics of T-Tail Transport Airplanes.” NASA TND 3370, August 1966.
- Walter H. L. and Agnihorti A. K., “A Fixed Base Engineering Flight Simulator for General Aviation Aircraft.” Paper 700235 presented at SAE National Business Aircraft Meeting, Wichita, March 1970.