This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Modal Synthesis Technique for Determining Dynamic Properties for a Structure for Mass and Stiffness Changes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The assembly and particularly the reduction of the mass and stiffness matrix for a large system can be a significant portion of the computational cost of finding the mode shapes and natural frequencies. Therefore, parameter studies for design purposes can be prohibitive if these matrices are reassembled and reduced for each change. The purpose of this paper is to outline the procedure for using the modes of the original system to determine the dynamic characteristics of the changed system. The method also results in computational savings for boundary condition changes and for large systems that are nearly-symmetric except for a few mass and stiffness changes.
To illustrate the method several changes are made to a ladder frame. The results from an analysis using the reconstructed mass and stiffness matrices and the modal synthesis technique are compared to show the accuracy and freedom requirements.
|Finite Element Dynamic Analysis of an Automotive Frame
|Structural Design Changes as a Solution to a Resonance Fatigue Problem of a Sports Car
|Real-Time Optimization of TTCAN Networks
CitationVail, C., "A Modal Synthesis Technique for Determining Dynamic Properties for a Structure for Mass and Stiffness Changes," SAE Technical Paper 740329, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740329.
- Hurty W. C. “Vibration of Structural Systems by Component Mode Synthesis,” Proceedings of American Safety of Civil Engineers 85 EM4 August 1960 51 69
- Neubert V. H. Raney J. P. “Synthesis of Vibrating Systems,” The American Society of Mechanical Engineers New York, NY November 1971 124
- Davis J. C. “Modal Modeling Techniques for Vehicle Shake Analysis,” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan January 1972 SAE Paper No. 720045
- Klosterman A. L. “A Combined Experimental and Analytical Procedure for Improving Automotive System Dynamics,” Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan January 1972 SAE Paper No. 720093
- Benfield W. A. Hruda R. F. “Vibration Analysis of Structures by Component Mode Substitution,” AIAA Journal 9 7 July 1971 1255 1261
- MacNeal R. H. “The NASTRAN Theoretical Manual,” NASA SP-221 NASA Washington, D.C. 1970