This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Sources of Error in Headlamp Aim
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The literature on headlamp aiming is surveyed in detail to pinpoint the various sources and magnitudes of aim variance. Four major sources of variance are identified (differences between beam and mounting plane, photometric changes in use, long axis alignment, and human factors), along with a number of others of lesser consequence. Illustrations are offered showing the expected population variance under a variety of conditions. It is apparent that, at the present state-of-the-art, a substantial percentage of the lamp population can be expected to be beyond the limits recommended in SAE J599c. It is further apparent that this would be true regardless of whether or not a vehicle inspection program is in operation.
Recommendations are given regarding research emphasis in headlighting. Ways of reducing variance from the most significant sources are considered and recommendations offered.
|Technical Paper||Reducing the Problems of Nighttime Driving for Older Individuals|
|Technical Paper||Problems of Nighttime Visibility and Glare for Older Drivers|
|Technical Paper||Human Factors for Display and Control|
CitationOlson, P. and Mortimer, R., "Analysis of Sources of Error in Headlamp Aim," SAE Technical Paper 740312, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740312.
- Terry R. M. “Automotive Headlamp Aiming-Intentions and Results.” Paper 730007 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Heath W. M. “Problems in Passenger Car Headlamp Aim.” Paper 730009 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Jehu V. J. “Headlight Setting: Part I. An Investigation of Commercial Testers.” Automobile Engineer April 1954 159 164
- Finch D. M. Dunlop D. R. Collins D. M. “Headlamp Survey Program.” University of California Berkeley September 1969
- Hull R. W. Hemion R. H. Cadena D. G. “Guidelines for Improving the Stability of Headlamp Aim.” Southwest Research Institute August 1972
- Walker D. “Field Adjustment and Inspection of Headlamp Aim.” Paper 720286 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Olson P. L. Mortimer R. G. “Investigation of Some Factors Affecting the Aim of Headlamps.” HSRI, University of Michigan 1973
- Walker D. “Field Adjustment and Inspection of Headlamp Aim.” Society of Automotive Engineers January 8 1973
- Jehu V. J. “Headlight Setting: Part II. An Improved Headlight Tester.” Automobile Engineer May 1954 213 215
- Mortimer R. G. Becker Judith M. “Computer Simulation to Predict Night Driving Visibility as a Function of Headlamp Beams.” Proceedings, International Conference on Driver Behavior Zurich October 1973