This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low-Temperature Starting Experiments with a Mazda Rotary Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the low-temperature cranking and starting characteristics of the Mazda engine is described. Measurements were made at around - 10°F, using a Mazda R-100 car in a cold room. For these experiments, the seal lubrication system-in which the oil is mixed with the fuel in the carburetor-was separated from the conventional bearing lubrication system.
Cranking speed was found to vary inversely with the viscosity of the oil in the sump and to be independent of the viscosity of the seal lubricant. Compression pressure was proportional to cranking speed; oil viscosity had no direct effect on compression pressure, but was important only as it affected cranking speed.
A brief investigation was also made of an apparent icing problem which hindered starting of our Mazda engine at low temperatures. The results suggest that water of combustion, produced in the first few cycles of cranking, may freeze and prevent the sealing grid from functioning properly.
CitationBrown, E. and Heithaus, J., "Low-Temperature Starting Experiments with a Mazda Rotary Engine," SAE Technical Paper 740161, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740161.
- Meyer W.A.P. “Cooperative Effort Produces Visco-metric Methods Which Realistically Reflect the Low-Temperature Cranking Performance of Engine Oils.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680608
- Haviland M. L. “Engine and Transmission Lubricant Viscosity Effects on Low-Temperature Cranking and Starting.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 690768
- Ansdale R. F. “The Wankel RC Engines.” Cranbury, N. J. A. S. Barnes and Co. 1969
- Norbye J. P. “The Wankel Engine.” Philadelphia Chilton Book Co. 1971
- Yamamoto K. “Rotary Engine.” Hiroshima Toyo Kogyo Co., Ltd. 1972
- Jones C. “The Curtiss-Wright Rotating Combustion Engines Today.” SAE Transactions 73 1965 127 145
- Rogers T. W. Lemke W. Lefevre J. Ohzawa T. “Lubricant Studies in Rotary-Combustion Engines.” Paper 720467 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1972
- Jones Charles “A Survey of Curtiss-Wright's 1958-1971 Rotating Combustion Engine Technological Developments.” Paper 720468 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1972
- Souillard G. J. Van Quaethoven F. F. “Lubrication of the Wankel Rotary Engine.” Paper 730047 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Behling R. D. Weise E. “Lubricant and Fuel Requirements and General Performance Data of Wankel Rotary Piston Engines.” Paper 730048 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973