This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extension of the Lean Misfire Limit and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions of an SI Engine by Modification of the Ignition and Intake Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The lean misfire limit air-fuel ratio of a spark ignition engine was extended by various modifications of the intake and ignition systems. The effects of long duration spark, extended spark plug gap projections and gap widths, and a vaned collar intake valve are reported. These modifications allowed for reliable operation up to air-fuel ratios of 24:1. The experimental apparatus and procedure used in this study are described. Conclusions are drawn concerning the optimization of the various modifications to extend the lean misfire limit and reduce the exhaust emissions. In general, all modifications extended the lean misfire limit, but increased gap width had the most profound effect. In all cases, the exhaust emissions were reduced by extension of the lean misfire limit.
CitationRyan, T., Lestz, S., and Meyer, W., "Extension of the Lean Misfire Limit and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions of an SI Engine by Modification of the Ignition and Intake Systems," SAE Technical Paper 740105, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740105.
- Huls T. A. Meyers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “Spark Ignition Engine Operation and Design for Minimum Exhaust Emissions.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660405
- Brehob W. M. “Control of Mobile Sources.” 8th Conference on Air Pollution Control October 1969
- Martin E. J. Vance D. R. “Exhaust Recirculation and Spark Control-A Speed Governed and Vacuum Modulated System.” Paper 720123 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Lestz S. S. Meyer W. E. Colony C. M. “Emissions from a Direct-Cylinder Water-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720113
- Lee R. C. “Effect of Compression Ratio, Mixture Strength, Spark Timing and Coolant Temperature upon Exhaust Emissions and Power.” Paper 710832 SAE National Combined Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant and Truck Meetings St. Louis October 1971
- Jackson M. W. Wiese W. M. Wentworth J. T. “Influence of Air-Fuel Ratio, Spark Timing and Combustion Chamber Deposits on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions.” Paper 486A SAE Automobile Week Detroit March 1962
- Chandler J. M. “Effects of Engine Operating Variables on the Composition of Automotive Exhaust Gases.” American Petroleum Inst., Proc. 38 1968
- Kopa R. D. “Control of Automobile Exhaust Emission by Modifications of the Carburetion System.” Paper 660114 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- Schweitzer P. H. “Control of Exhaust Pollution Through a Mixture Optimizer.” Paper 720254 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Tanuma T. Sasaki K. K. Kaneko T. Kawaski H. “Ignition, Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of Lean Mixtures in Automotive Spark Ignition Engines.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710159
- Burgett R. R. Leptich J. M. Sangwan K. V. S. “Measuring the Effect of Spark Plug and Ignition System Design on Engine Performance.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720007
- Kenemuth D. K. Lestz S. S. “Charge Conditioning Effects on Cycle-by-Cycle Pressure Development Variation of an SI Engine.” Auto Safety Research Program, Report No. 36 The Pennsylvania State University March 1970
- Gabele P. A. “The Effect of Intake Valve Modification on Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in an SI Engine.” M.S. Thesis The Pennsylvania State University March 1971
- Texaco Research Center “The Texaco Transistorized Ignition System.” November 1970
- Lentz L. R. Miller R. D. Cadmus T. E. “Trends in the Design and Performance of Spark Plugs as Related to Engine Exhaust Emissions.” Inst. Mech. Engr. 1972
- Ryan T. W. “SI Engine Intake and Ignition System Modifications-Their Effect on the Lean Misfire Limit and Emissions.” M.S. Thesis The Pennsylvania State University August 1973
- Hansel J. G. “Lean Automotive Engine Operation-Hydrocarbon Exhaust Emissions and Combustion Characteristics.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710164