This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Camshaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of a variable valve timing (VVT) camshaft was initiated as a potential means of controlling exhaust emissions from a spark ignition piston engine. This approach was based on the fact that valve overlap influences internal exhaust gas recirculation which in turn affects spark ignition engine emissions and performance. The design, fabrication, bench tests and engine durability tests of a unit incorporating splines to allow the intake cams to move relative to the exhaust cams is discussed. Preliminary test data from a 350 CID (5700 cm3) engine fitted with the VVT camshaft are discussed with regard to durability and emissions.
|Technical Paper||An Electronically Controlled Cam Phasing System|
|Technical Paper||Variable Valve Timing for Fuel Economy Improvement — The Mitchell System|
|Technical Paper||Variable Valve Actuation Mechanisms and the Potential for their Application|
CitationSchiele, C., DeNagel, S., and Bennethum, J., "Design and Development of a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Camshaft," SAE Technical Paper 740102, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740102.
- Siewert R. M. “How Individual Valve Timing Events Affect Exhaust Emissions.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710609
- Quader A. A. “Why Intake Charge Dilution Decreases Nitric Oxide Emission From Spark Ignition Engines.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710009
- Campau R. M. “Low Emission Concept Vehicles.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710294
- Freeman M. A. Nicholson R. C. “Valve Timing for Control of Oxides of Nitrogen (NO x ).” Paper 720121 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Meacham G. B. K. “Variable Cam Timing as an Emission Control Tool.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700673
- Lipson C. “Wear Considerations in Design.” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1967 99 109