This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transportation to Fulfill Human Needs in the Rural/Urban Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1974 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents background and initial funding on a multidisciplinary program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Transportation, University Research Program. This program considers transportation problems involving urban and rural travelers and relates to all modes of travel. In several parts of the program, particular emphasis is involved with the Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport, one of the largest in the world. Work reported in this paper include:
Evaluation transportation problems related to providing essential services to rural and urban dwellers.
Study of the effect of interurban transportation systems on the rural environment and the development or demise of the small rural communities.
Study of the movement of goods and freight in the Southwest including the impact of the new Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Airport.
Development of methodologies for considering human response to the quality of ride and service in developing criteria for the various transportation modes in both urban and rural areas.
Study of human response in developing methods of evaluating possible modal choice decisions in both urban and rural areas.
While these are broad program areas which will require two to three years for fruition, preliminary results are reported herein which indicate the potential of multidisciplinary university research.
CitationHudson, W. and Walton, C., "Transportation to Fulfill Human Needs in the Rural/Urban Environment," SAE Technical Paper 740026, 1974, https://doi.org/10.4271/740026.
- “New Life for the Country.” A Report on the President's Task Force on Rural Development. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, March 1970.
- “A Review of President Nixon's State of the Union Address.” New York Times, Jan. 23, 1970.
- Hanes R. M., “Human Sensitivity to Whole Body Vibration: A Literature Survey.” JHU/APL TR 004, 1970.
- Jacobson I., “Criteria for Ride Quality-Motion.” STOL Program Memorandum Report No. 40302, Center for Application of Science and Engineering to Public Affairs, University of Virginia, 1972.
- “A Study of the Aerodynamic Effects and Stability Characteristics of Buses.” Report No. DOT-HS-800-798, Research Laboratories, Bendix Corp., under Contract No. DOT-HS-090-2-291, 1972.