This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Experience with Apollo Spacecraft Propulsion Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Apollo 17 ended the most successful application of rocket propulsion systems in man's history. A total of 23 developmental and manned operational flights were made. Seven hundred and sixty-three spacecraft rocket engines were flown in the program. Over 6 h of manned rocket flights were logged by the spacecraft propulsion systems and approximately one million rocket engine firings were made. One engine failure was encountered on an early unmanned flight as a result of a failure in the guidance programmer which caused the engine to operate in a manner known to cause failures. Numerous operational problems and malfunctions were observed; however, system and component redundancy prevented loss of mission objectives and never jeopardized crew safety. Performance of all systems was usually nominal and most problems were merely nuisances. This paper will present some highlights of Apollo propulsion performance and will provide a bibliography of all flight results.
CitationThibodaux, J., "Flight Experience with Apollo Spacecraft Propulsion Systems," SAE Technical Paper 730941, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730941.
- Thibodaux, Joseph G. Jr., “Apollo Spacecraft Propulsion Systems.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690704.
- Vaughan Chester A., Villemarette Robert, Karakulko Witalij, and Blevins Donald R., “Apollo Experience Report-Lunar Module Reaction Control System.” NASA TN D-6740, March 1972.
- Townsend Neil A., “Apollo Experience Report-Launch Escape Propulsion Subsystem.” NASA TN D-7083, July 1972.
- Gibson Cecil R. and Wood James A., “Apollo Experience Report-Service Propulsion Subsystem.” NASA MSC-04940, March 1973.
- Taeuber Ralph J. and Weary Dwayne P., “Apollo Experience Report-Command and Service Module Reaction Control System.” NASA TN D-7151, November 1972.
- Hooper, John C. III, “Performance Analysis of the Ascent Propulsion System of the Apollo Spacecraft.” NASA MSC-07255, February 1973.
- Hammock, William R. Jr., Currie Eldon C., and Fisher Arlie E., “Apollo Experience Report-Descent Propulsion System.” NASA TN D-7143, October 1972.
- “Apollo 17 Mission Report.” March 1973
- “Apollo 16 Mission Report.” August 1972, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 15 Mission Report.’” December 1971, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 14 Mission Report.” May 1971, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 13 Mission Report.” September 1970, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 12 Mission Report.” March 1970, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 11 Mission Report.” November 1969, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 10 Mission Report.” August 1969, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 9 Mission Report.” May 1969, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 8 Mission Report.” February 1969, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 7 Mission Report.” December 1968, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 6 Mission Report.” May 1968, and propulsion supplements.
- “Apollo 5 Mission Report.” March 1968, and propulsion supplements.