This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Production Acceptance Testing Using an Improved Acoustic Signature Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the composite exceedance method as an alternative to the more costly broadband power spectral density (PSD) analysis which is the standard method of acoustic signature analysis for rotating machinery. The composite exceedance is superior to the PSD analysis in that the computational procedure is straightforward and effective without the use of Fourier Transforms and, therefore, lends itself to simple programming, and the information extracted from the vibration data is represented in one master plot, permitting direct evaluation of all g peak levels encountered in terms of the number of occurrences above which they exceed a given level of acceleration. The sensitivity of anomaly detection by the proposed method has been demonstrated in a number of actual cases, one of which is discussed. The data collection methodology and philosophy of the method as they relate to narrow-band Gaussian random processes are also considered.
CitationChen, R., Yokota, F., Allen, D., and Friedericy, J., "Production Acceptance Testing Using an Improved Acoustic Signature Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 730929, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730929.
- Rice S. O. “Mathematical Analysis of Random Noise.” Bell System Technical Journal 23 24 Wax N. “Selected Papers on Noise and Stochastic Processes.” New York: Dover 1954
- Ragazzini J. R. Franklin G. F. “Sampled Data Control System.” New York McGraw-Hill 1958
- Chen R. P. Saur A. J. “Spartan HPU Vibration Signature Analysis.” AiResearch Mfg. Co. Report 72-8442 Sept. 18 1972
- Lin Y. K. “Probabilistic Theory of Structural Dynamics.” New York McGraw-Hill 1967
- Kao J. H. K. “Graphical Limits on Weibull Plots.” 25th Annual Technical Conference of American Society for Quality Control May 1971
- Harter H. L. “New Tables of the Incomplete Gamma-Function Ratio and of Percentage Points of the Chi-Square and Beta Distributions.” Aerospace Research Laboratories U. S. Government Printing Office 1964