This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Metrication and Planning to Meet Its Demands in Aerospace Engineering and Manufacturing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerospace will, in all probability, be among the very first industries to be affected when the United States government, after 180 years of debate, finally decides to “go metric.” In view of this well-founded premise, and the prevalent belief that the Congress will afford positive support to a program to adopt the SI, this paper provides, along with a brief introduction to the history of metrication and SI units, an outline of how the demands of metrication must be met if the conversion to SI units is to be successful. It notes why the introduction of SI units will necessitate the development of individual company plans for metrication and what the common features will be. The basic common features discussed are: a genuine understanding of metrication, need for an evaluation which will establish the degree to which an organization will be affected, requirement for a schedule for introduction of the metrication program, educational provisions, coordinated implementation, and publicity.
CitationCarmody, D., "Metrication and Planning to Meet Its Demands in Aerospace Engineering and Manufacturing," SAE Technical Paper 730924, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730924.
- “ASTM Standard Metric Practice Guide.” American Society for Testing Materials Philadelphia, Pa. 1970
- “The International System of Units (SI).” Washington, D.C. GPO Catalog No. C13.10:330/2 1972
- “A Metric America.” Washington, D.C. GPO Catalog No. C13.10:345 1971
- “Metric Equivalents of U.S. Conventional Units of Measure.” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1969 SAE J916
- “Metric Series for Basic Thicknesses of Sheet and Diameters of Wire.” New York American National Standards Institute 1964
- “Preferred Numbers-Series of Preferred Numbers.” New York American National Standards Institute 1964
- Carmody D.E.E. “The Economics of Standardization-An Introduction to Cost Avoidance Documentation.” McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co. MDAC Paper WD 1734 1971
- Carmody D.E.E. “Metrication's Cost Avoidance Potentials in Aerospace Standards.” McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co. MDAC Paper WD 1928 1972
- Carmody D.E.E. “Metrication and Its Aerospace Keystone-An Optimum Thread for Aerospace Use.” McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co. MDAC Paper WD 1999 1973
- Carmody D.E.E. “Metrication's Application to Aerospace-A Challenge in Standards Engineering.” McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Co. MDAC Paper WD 2133 1973
- “Selected Aerospace Diameter Pitch Combinations of Metric 60 Deg Screw Threads of Nuts and Bolts.” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1974 SAE AS1337
- “NAS Documents Preparation and Maintenance in SI Metric 60 Deg Screw Threads of Nuts and Bolts.” New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1974 SAE AS1337
- “SI Units and Recommendations for the Use of Their Multiples and of Certain Other Units.” New York American National Standards Institute 1973