This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tractor-Semitrailer Handling: A Dynamic Tractor Suspension Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Fleet Week
This paper describes the addition of tandem-drive axles and tractor suspension dynamics to a digital computer model of a tractor-semitrailer truck. The extended model provides 22 degrees of freedom for the vehicle. Two degrees of freedom are included for the motion of each tractor axle; vertical tire flexibility, tandem-axle suspension jacking, and tandem-axle roll steer are also included in the extended model.
The features of the previous vehicle model (based on the work of Mikulcik) are retained in the extended model. These features include nonlinear equations for translation, yaw, pitch, and roll of both the tractor and the semitrailer (except as these motions are constrained by the fifth wheel), wheel rotation dynamics, and antiskid brake control. The model also includes a simulated “driver” which specifies the steering angle and the air pressure applied to the brakes.
The extended model is compared with the prior model by performing comparison tests involving simultaneous cornering and braking. The model is then used to investigate the effects of nonhorizontal torque rods at the tandem axles on the behavior of the vehicle.
|Technical Paper||Real Time 7 DOF Vehicle Dynamics Model and its Experimental Verification|
|Technical Paper||Measuring and Modeling Suspensions of Passenger Vehicles|
CitationVincent, R. and Krauter, A., "Tractor-Semitrailer Handling: A Dynamic Tractor Suspension Model," SAE Technical Paper 730653, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730653.
- Jindra F. “Tractor and Semitrailer Handling.” Automobile Engineer 53 1963 438 446
- Jindra F. “Tractor and Trailer Handling.” Automobile Engineer 55 1965 60 69
- Jindra F. “Handling Characteristics of Tractor-Trailer Combinations.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650720
- Hales F. D. “The Lateral Stability of a Simplified Articulated Vehicle.” Proceedings of Symposium on Control of Vehicles during Braking and Cornering London 1963
- Ellis J. R. “The Dynamics of Vehicles during Braking.” Proceedings of Symposium on Control of Vehicles during Braking and Cornering London 1963
- Ellis J. R. “The Ride and Handling of Semitrailer Articulated Vehicles.” Automobile Engineer 56 1966 523 529
- Schmid I. “Engineering Approach to Truck and Tractor Train Stability.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670006
- Mikulcik E. C. “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem.” Cornell University June 1968 SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710045
- Leucht P. “The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700371
- Nicholas V. Comstock T. “Predicting Directional Behavior of Tractor Semitrailers When Wheel Anti-Skid Brake Systems are Used.” ASME Paper No. 72-WA/Aut-16
- Bernard J. “A Digital Computer Method for the Prediction of Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” Paper 730181 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Wilson R. K. “Braking Study of a Tractor-Semitrailer.” Cornell University September 1971
- Tobler W. E. “Tractor-Semitrailer Dynamics: Design of the Fifth Wheel.” Cornell University September 1971
- Krauter A. I. “Anti-Skid Braking of a Tractor-Semitrailer Truck.”
- Vincent R. J. “An Investigation of Tractor-Semitrailer Suspension Dynamics.” Cornell University January 1973