This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Some Analytical Crashworthiness Studies of Automobile Front Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical study of the crashworthiness of automobile front structures. The unique features of the automobile structural crashworthiness which must be evaluated in a manner separate from that of other dynamic response problems are described. Using a computer program, studies were undertaken on a Model 2D2 automobile colliding with barriers at various speeds. Displacement and deceleration results correlated reasonably well with full-scale tests. This analysis has generated interest in studies with a three-dimensional structure which are currently underway.
CitationShieh, R., "Some Analytical Crashworthiness Studies of Automobile Front Structures," SAE Technical Paper 730612, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730612.
- Marguard E. 64 5 May 1962 141 148
- Emori R. I. “Analytical Approach to Automobile Collisions.” Paper 680016 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Miura Kawamura K. “An Analysis of Deformation Mechanism in Head-On Collision.” Paper 680484 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- Kamal M. M. “Analysis and Simulations of Vehicle to Barrier Impact.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700414
- Melosh R. J. Kelly D. M. “The Potential for Predicting Flexible Car Crash Response.” SAE Transactions 76 paper 670895
- Thompson J. E. “Occupant Response Versus Vehicle Crash: A Total System Approach.” Proc. of Twelfth Stapp Car Crash Conference 26 paper 680780 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1968
- Selna L. Salinas D. “Vehicle Structural Response.” UCLA Motor Vehicle Safety Contract Final Report No. 69-51 1969 Starr C. Greenfield M. A.
- Melosh R. J. “Car-Barrier Impact Response of a Computer Simulated Mustang.” March 1972
- Shieh R. C. “Basic Research in Crashworthiness II-Pre-Collapse Dynamic Analysis of Plane, Elasto-Plastic Frame Structures Including the Case of Collision into a Narrow Rigid Pole Obstacle.” August 1968
- Shieh R. C. “Basic Research in Crashworthiness II-Large Deflection Dynamic Analysis of Plane, Elasto-Plastic Structures Including the Case of Collision into a Pole or Massive Barrier Obstacle.” December 1972
- Cowper G. R. Symonds P. S. “Strain Hardening and Strain Rate Effects in the Impact Loading of Cantilever Beams.” Brown University 1960
- Manjoine M. J. “Influence of Rate of Strain and Temperature on Yield Stresses of Mild Steel.” J. of Appl. Mech. II 1944 A211 A218
- Galganski R. A. “Basic Research in Crashworthiness II-Testing and Evaluation of Collapsing Forward Structure Modification Concept in Car-to-Car Frontal Collisions.” May 1972
- Anders E. B. et al. “Digital Filters.” 1964
- Shieh R. C. “Large Deflection Computerized Dynamic Analysis of Rate Sensitive Elasto-Plastic Frame Structures.”
- Shieh R. C. “Experimental Validation Study of the Analytical Predictive Techniques for the Large Deflection Dynamic Analyses of Plane Elasto-Plastic Frame Structures.”