This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical treatment of a mechanical-mathematical model of an air bag inflation process integrated with a model for the interaction between the air bag and a standing child dummy. The inflation model consists of a one-dimensional gas dynamics analysis of the flow system which delivers the gas to inflate the bag. The interaction model then provides a method for calculating the forces exerted by the inflating bag on the standing child. The results show that the unacceptably high contact forces recorded in standing-child air bag tests are due to impact of the unopened portion of the bag on the standing child. A single-membrane concept is thus suggested to reduce this impact severity.
|Technical Paper||Children as Front Seat Passengers Exposed to Airbag Deployments|
|Technical Paper||Small Car Air Cushion Performance Considerations|
CitationWu, H., Tang, S., and Petrof, R., "Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child," SAE Technical Paper 730604, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730604.
- Clark C. Blechschmidt C. “Analytical Performance of an Airstop Restraint System in an Automobile Crash.” Highway Research Record 159
- McHenry R. R. Naab K. N. “Computer Simulation of the Crash Victim Validation Study.” Paper 660792, Proceedings of Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1966
- Kemmerer R. M. Chute R. Hass D. P. “Automatic Inflatable Occupant Restraint System.” Paper 680033 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Irish F. J. Potter R. A. McKenzie R. D. “Modeling Tools for Design of Air Cushion Restraint Systems.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710015
- Hammond R. A. “Digital Simulation of An Inflatable Safety Restraint.” Paper 710019 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Trosien K. R. Patrick L. M. “Steering Wheel Airbag Collision Performance.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710020
- Pflug J. A. “Dynamic Problems with an Air Bag Restrain System.” Paper 710021 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- King A. I. Chou C. C. Mackinder J. A. “Mathematical Model of an Airbag for a Three-Dimensional Occupant Simulation.” Paper 720036 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Bartz J. A. “A Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Victim, Phase I-Development of the Computer Program.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory, Inc. 1971
- Wise C. E. “Bags, Belts, or Both?” Machine Design 44 2 Jan. 22 1972
- “Hybrid Gas Generator Makes Air Bag Systems Smaller, Lighter, Quieter.” Automotive Engineering 80 2 February 1972
- Ginzburg I. P. “Applied Fluid Dynamics.” Israel Program for Scientific Translations National Science Foundation Washington, D.C. 1963
- “Progress Report on Mathematical Modeling of Gas Cushion Restraint System.” Hercules Inc. February 1971