This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermoplastic Polyurethane Elastomers Temperature Dependence of Physical Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermoplastic urethanes can be regarded as linear, block copolymers of the (AB)n type, the A block being considered the soft segment and the B block the hard segment.
This study was concerned with the temperature dependence of mechanical properties for thermoplastic urethanes based on polycaprolactone diols, 4,4-diphenylmethane diisocyanate (MDI) and 1,4-butanediol (BDO). The molecular weight of the polycaprolactone diol (A or soft segment) was varied independently, as was the relative concentration of the MDI/BDO hard (B) segment.
The resulting urethanes ranged from rubbery to hard and tough materials. Some of the urethanes displayed compatible behavior. Others displayed an incompatible behavior and were, thus, less temperature dependent.
CitationCritchfield, F., Koleske, J., and Seefried, C., "Thermoplastic Polyurethane Elastomers Temperature Dependence of Physical Properties," SAE Technical Paper 730602, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730602.
- Bayer O. Modern Plastics 24 149 1947
- Schollenberger C. S. Scott H. Moore G. R. Rubber World 137 4 549 1948
- Cooper S. L. Tabolsky A. V. Textile Research Journal 36 September 1966
- Young D. M. Hostettler F. Shriver L. C. McLaughlin R. W. “Polyesters from Lactones” Division of Paint, Plastics and Printing Ink Chemistry, 130th Meeting of ACS Atlantic City, New Jersey September 1956
- Magnus G. Rubber Age July 1965
- Magnus G. Dunleavy R. A. Critchfield F. E. Rubber Chem. Tech. 39 4 1328 1966
- Rausch, K. W. Jr. Sayigh A. R. I & EC Product Res. and Devel. 4 2 June 1965
- Dunleavy R. A. Critchfield F. E. Rubber World June 1967
- Critchfield F. E. Koleske J. V. Dunleavy R. A. Rubber World August 1971
- Nielsen L. E. Rev. Sci. Instr. 22 690 1951
- Rodgers W. A. “Tension Tests with Cut Ring Specimens” American Chemical Society Meeting Division of Rubber Chemistry Cincinnati, Ohio October 1972
- Koleske J. V. Lundberg R. D. J. Polymer Sci. 7 795 1969