This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Handling and Stability Volvo's Experimental Safety Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many parameters influence vehicle handling, but not all have the same importance to the road-holding characteristics of the vehicle. The weight distribution on the front and rear axles is one of the more important factors and can be influenced by the driver. For example, a fully loaded car may have a load of 40% on the front axle and 60% on the rear axle. This unbalanced distribution can cause problems for the driver in transient steering. It is important, therefore, that vehicles be designed so that even the worst weight distribution will not affect handling qualities to the extent that the driver has difficulty in controlling the steering. That is, handling performance should vary as little as possible regardless of disproportionate load distributions.
|Technical Paper||CAR CONTROL FACTORS and their MEASUREMENT|
|Technical Paper||Considerations in Determining Vehicle Handling Requirements|
|Technical Paper||Using Computer Simulation to Evaluate and Improve Vehicle Handling|
CitationJaksch, F., "Handling and Stability Volvo's Experimental Safety Car," SAE Technical Paper 730591, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730591.
- Weir D. H. Shortwell C. P. Johnson W. A. “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control.” Paper 680194 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1967
- Milliken, W. F. Jr. Whitecomb D. W. Segel L. Close W. Muzzey C. L. Fonda A. “Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tyre Performance.” IME November 1956
- Segel L. “On the Lateral Stability and Control of the Automobile as Influenced by the Dynamics of the Steering System.” Jl Eng. Industry ASME paper No. 65-WA/MD-2
- Chiesa A. Rinonapoli L. June 1968
- Mitschke M. May 1970
- Burmann H. J. VDI Zeitschrift Band 107 27 September 1965
- Mitschke M.
- Waldmann D.
- Mitschke M. Helm H. J. Niemann K.
- Gnadler R. January 1972
- Fiala E. May 1968
- McLean J. R. Hoffmann E. R. “Analysis of Driver's Control Movements.” Human Factors 13 1971 5 407 418
- Kondo M. Ajimine A. “Driver's Sight Point and Dynamics of the Driver- Vehicle System Related to It.” Paper 680104 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1968
- Mitschke M. Niemann K.
- Bergman W. “The Basic Nature of Vehicle Understeer-Oversteer.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650085
- Braess H. H.
- Beermann H. I.
- Ellis J. R. “Vehicle Dynamics.” Advanced School of Automobile Engineering Cranfield
- Mitschke M. Berlin Springer-Verlag 1972
- McHenry R. R. Delays N. J. “Vehicle Dynamics in Single-Vehicle Accidents. Validation and Extensions of a Computer Simulation.” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Report No. VJ-2251-v-3