This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Federal Urban Driving Schedule
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the development of the LA 4 road route, and discusses efforts directed toward development of a short repetitive dynamometer cycle based upon the road route Also described are the instrumentation, methods, and selection process used to obtain a speed profile of a typical drive over the 12 mile long route The methods used to shorten the speed profile to 7.5 miles, and to shorten the average trip length, while preserving trip description such as average speed, idle time, number of stops, etc., are explained. A measure of the correlation of emissions from vehicles driven over the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule (UDDS) and over the full LA 4 driving schedule is provided.
The UDDS is a speed-trace consisting of 18 profiles. separated by idle periods of 0-39 s duration The schedule covers 7.46 miles in 1372 s for an average speed of 19.6 mph.
|Technical Paper||Evolution of Federal Light-Duty Mass Emission Regulations|
|Technical Paper||Passenger Car Fuel Economy During Non-Urban Driving|
CitationKruse, R. and Huls, T., "Development of the Federal Urban Driving Schedule," SAE Technical Paper 730553, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730553.
- Pattison John N. Sweeney M. P. “A Study of Los Angeles Driving as it Relates to Peak Photochemical Smog Formation.” APCA National Meeting San Francisco June 1966
- Teague D. M. “Los Angeles Traffic Pattern Survey.” “Vehicle Emissions, Part I,” SAE Progress in Technology Series 6 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964 17 38 44
- Haas G. C. Sweeney M. P. Pattison J N. “Laboratory Simulation of Driving Conditions in the Los Angeles Area” “Vehicle Emissions, Part II,” SAE Progress in Technology Series 12 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1968 317 324
- Ethyl Corp. “Survey of Truck and Bus Operating Modes in Several Cities.” U.S. Public Health Service Contract No. PH 86-62-12 June 1963
- Kearm D H. Lamoureux R. L. “A Survey of Average Driving Patterns in the Los Angeles Urban Area.” Feb. 28 1969
- Federal Register 35 136 July 15 1970 11,357 11,359
- Federal Register 37 221 Nov. 15 1972 24,317 24,318
- Scott Research Laboratories, Inc. “Vehicle Operations Survey.” CRC-APRAC Project No. CAPE 10-68 (1-70) Dec. 17 1971
- Smith M. Manos M. “Vehicle Operations Survey: Interim Report, LA-3 Road Route Study.” Oct. 29 1971
- Scott Research Laboratories “Construction of Chassis Dynamometer Test Cycles.” Interim Report SRL 2948 050671 June 25 1971