This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Results of 1972 Urban Vehicle Design Competition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In August 1972, the Urban Vehicle Design Competition (UVDC) completed an 18-month program of vehicle design and construction with a national testing event of all vehicles entered in the contest. Sixty-six vehicles from 62 universities in the United States and Canada competed for the top prize. The objectives of the competition were to promote a project-oriented approach to engineering education, as well as to provide students with the opportunity to contribute constructively in the effort to develop low-emission, safe urban vehicles.
Some of the more innovative designs appeared in the following areas:
- 1.Low-pollution powerplants utilizing nonfossil fuels, thermal reactors, catalytic reactors, exhaust gas recirculation systems, and hybrid powerplants.
- 2.Drunk tester/antitheft devices.
- 3.Bumper systems capable of protecting a vehicle from damage in a 5 mph impact.
- 4.Overall integration of automotive systems in small vehicle design.
A description of UVDC testing procedures, scoring results, and innovative designs is contained in this paper.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Procedure for the Measurement of Gaseous Exhaust Emissions from Small Utility Engines|
|Technical Paper||Methodology to Evaluate the Performance of Diesel Engine Cold Starts using Engine Speed Profile Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Diesel Engine Oil Consumption Studies|
CitationMcCuen, C. and Matthews, M., "Results of 1972 Urban Vehicle Design Competition," SAE Technical Paper 730513, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730513.
- “Urban Vehicle Design Competition 1972-The Final Report.” Cambridge Student Competitions on Relevant Engineering, Inc. February 1973
- “Motor Vehicles and the Urban Environment-Symposium I Document.” Cambridge Student Competitions on Relevant Engineering, Inc. October 1971
- “The Urban Vehicle in 1980-Symposium II Document.” Cambridge Student Competitions on Relevant Engineering, Inc. May 1972
- Darago Vincent S. McCuen Charles M. “Urban Vehicle Design Competition-History, Progress, Development.” Paper 720497 SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1972
- “Study of Impact of Clean Air Car Race and the Urban Vehicle Design Competition on Engineering Education.” Environmental Protection Agency November 1971
- “Clean Air Car Race-1970.” Environmental Protection Agency Contract CPA-70-169 February 1971
- “Design and Progress Reports of the UVDC Teams.” 1971-1972