This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Motor Vehicle Handling Performance Requirements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The discussion presented in this paper addresses the difficulties associated with defining safe motor vehicle handling performance. Specific problems relating to the vehicle, the driver, and the environment are highlighted. Research activities performed and anticipated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are evaluated in terms of a more fundamental approach to a general formulation of the vehicle handling problem.
The aim of these investigations is to identify those vehicles that become overinvolved in highway accidents and, together with other evaluation criteria on vehicle handling, will clearly indicate whether these vehicles exhibit performance boundaries which are beyond the capabilities of the typical driver.
|Technical Paper||The Role of Vehicle Handling in Accident Causation|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Handling Assessment Using a Combined Subjective-Objective Approach|
|Technical Paper||Four Wheel Steering: Maneuverability and High Speed Stabilization|
CitationLimpert, R., "Development of Motor Vehicle Handling Performance Requirements," SAE Technical Paper 730490, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730490.
- Hales F. D. “The Handling and Stability of Motor Vehicles, Part 1-Handling, Stability, and Control Response Definitions.” The Motor Industry Research Assn. November 1964
- Versace J. Forbes F. M. “Research Requirements for Determining Car Handling Characteristics.” Highway Research Board, 47th Annual Meeting Washington, D. C. Jan. 16 1968
- Dell'Amico F. “Problems in Devising Handling Standards for Automobiles.” Amer. Society of Safety Engineers Annual Conf. Michigan State Univ. U. S. Dept. of Trans.
- Dugoff H. et al. “Vehicle Handling Test Procedures.” U. S. Dept. of Trans. November 1970
- Ervin R. D. et al. “Vehicle Handling Performance.” U. S. Dept. of Trans. November 1972
- Fancher P. S. et al. “Limit Handling Performance as Influenced by Degradation of Steering and Suspension Systems.” U. S. Dept. of Trans. November 1972
- Digitek Corporation “State-of-the-Art a Definition of Vehicle Handling.” U. S. Dept. of Trans.
- Rompe K. “Vehicle Response in Limit Turning Maneuver.” 1972
- Koessler P. “Road Evenness and Traction in View of Vehicle Technology.” Strasse und Autobahn 10 1968 376 380
- Gough V. E. Badger D. W. “Tires and Road Safety.” Fifth World Meeting of International Road Federation London September 1966
- Rizenbergs R. L. Ward H. A. “Skid Testing with an Automobile.” Highway Research Record 189 1967 115 137
- Kulbert G. “Method and Equipment for Continuous Measuring of the Coefficient of Friction at Incipient Skid.” Highway Research Board Bulletin 348 1962 1 35
- Ludema K. C. Sovlee Chul “Influence of Road-Surface Texture on Tire-Road Interface Traction Limits.” ASME Publication 1969