This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Cost Effectiveness of Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a rational basis for making tradeoff decisions on cost and weight for structures made of various materials. Unit cost and empty weight data have been gathered for a variety of consumer products and of aircraft. As examples illustrating potential applications of filamentary composites, the cost/weight tradeoff ratios were calculated for three typical aircraft structural components: a landing-gear cantilever-spring strut, an I-beam, and a shear panel. In addition, weight analyses of fuselage structures were made for designs using a variety of materials and these structural concepts: monocoque, sandwich, and ring-and-stringer-stiffened cylinders. With the cost reductions anticipated in the next three or four years for graphite and boron filamentary composites, fiber composites hold considerable promise for general-aviation aircraft.
CitationBert, C. and Bergey, K., "Structural Cost Effectiveness of Composites," SAE Technical Paper 730338, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730338.
- Harvie R. E. “Aluminum's Future.” Automotive Industries 145 11 Dec. 1 1971
- Kolom A. L. “The Cost/Weight Merit Function for Aerospace Hardware Design.” Paper 650785 SAE Aeronautic and Space Engineering and Manufacturing Meeting Los Angeles October 1965
- Scanlan J. “Elastic Stiffness and the Economics of Fibre-Reinforced Plastics.” Jrl. Materials Science 3 July 1968 339 343
- Hieronymus W. S. “Wide Use of Composite Expected.” Aviation Week and Space Technology June 22 1970
- Schjelderup H. C. Purdy D. M. “Advanced Composites-The Aircraft Material of the Future.” AIAA Paper 71 779 July 12 1971
- Burrell C. E. “A Preliminary Estimate of Airframe Cost Effectiveness in the 1980s.” AIAA Paper 70 870 July 9 1970
- Raymond L. Usell, R. J. Jr. “Material/Processes Projections Based on MCD Constraints.” Proceedings 15th National Society Aerospace Materials and Process Engineers Symposium April-May 1969
- Nishioka K. et al. “Aerospace Launch Vehicle Program Factors, Structures and Advanced Materials Cost-Performance Tradeoffs.” 30th Annual Conference Society of Aeronautical Weight Engineers May 3 1971
- Brewster C. E. Rosenthal S. M. “Improved Value Through Weight and Cost Control of the Boeing 747 Airplane.” Proceedings SAVE Conference 1969
- Piper H. Gerteis J. Cleveland F. A. Duvivier J. F. Blair M. M.
- Shimamura S. “Some Problems Arising in the Structural Applications of FRP to Automobiles.” Proceedings 25th Anniversary Conference, Reinforced Plastics/Composites Div. Society of Plastics Industry February 1970
- Ashton J. E. Whitney J. M. “Theory of Laminated Plates.” Stamford, Conn. Technomic Publishing Co., Inc. 1970 67 68
- Ashton J. E. Halpin J. C. Petit P. H. “Primer on Composite Materials: Analysis.” Stamford, Conn. Technomic Publishing Co., Inc. 1969
- Micks W. R. “Minimum Weight of Stiffened Cylindrical Shells in Pure Bending.” Jrl. Aeronautical Sciences 17 April 1950 211 216
- Gerard G. “Compressive Stability of Orthotropic Cylinders.” Jrl. Aeronautical Sciences 29 October 1962 1171 1179 1189
- Gellatly R. A. Gallagher R. H. “Sandwich Cylinder Instability Under Nonuniform Axial Stress.” AIAA Jrl. 2 February 1964 398 400
- Reese C. D. “Buckling of Orthotropic Conical Sandwich Shells Under Various Loadings.” University of Oklahoma August 1969
- Dow N. F. Rosen B. W. “Structural Efficiency of Orthotropic Cylindrical Shells Subjected to Axial Compression.” AIAA Jrl. 4 March 1966 481 485
- Plantema F. J. “Sandwich Construction.” New York John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1966 52
- “Mechanical Properties of Hexcel Honeycomb Materials.” TSB 120, Dublin, Calif. Hexcel Corp. 1971
- Harris B. J. Crisman W. C. “Face-Wrinkling Mode of Buckling of Sandwich Panels.” Jrl. Engineering Mechanics Division, Proceedings American Society of Civil Engineers 91 EM3 June 1965 93 111
- Reese C. D. Bert C. W. “Simplified Design Equations for Buckling of Axially Compressed Sandwich Cylinders with Orthotropic Facings and Core.” Jrl. Aircraft 6 November-December 1969 515 519
- “Plastic for Flight Vehicles, Part I, Reinforced Plastics.” Military Handbook MIL-HDBK-17 May 1 1964
- Bert C. W. Crisman W. C. Nordby G. M. “Fabrication and Full-Scale Structural Evaluation of Glass-Fabric Reinforced Plastic Shells.” Jrl. Aircraft 5 January-February 1968 27 34
- Ekvall J. C. “Structural Behavior of Monofilament Composites.” AIAA 6th Structures and Materials Conference Palm Springs Apr. 5-7 1965 250 263
- Ashton J. E. Halpin J. C. Petit P. H. “Primer on Composite Materials: Analysis.” Stamford, Conn. Technomic Publishing Co., Inc. 1969 108 109