This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injuries in Collisions Involving Small Cars in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Some of the characteristics of traffic accidents involving small cars in Europe are reviewed. A classification procedure is suggested whereby crashes may be categorized by their equivalent test in the laboratory. A sample of accidents is used to illustrate this procedure and the collision characteristics. The limited relevance of the distributed frontal barrier test to real world accidents is shown. Examples of particular features which produce injury are illustrated by cases. Three-point belts are discussed, and some injuries associated with poor positioning are illustrated. Small car steering assembly design is mentioned because field experience suggests that actual function of the steering assemblies in crashes is still not optimal. Problems of seat deformation and mounting failures in relation to injury patterns are discussed briefly, and the crash performance of glass reinforced plastics is mentioned.
CitationMackay, M. and Ashton, S., "Injuries in Collisions Involving Small Cars in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 730284, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730284.
- Economic Commission for Europe “Statistics of Road Traffic Accidents in Europe.” United Nations, Geneva 1970
- Mackay G. M. “The Methodology of Collision Investigation at Birmingham University, England.” Proc. Sym. on Collision Investigation Methodology New York Cornell Aero. Lab. Inc. August 1969 497 532
- Moreland J. D. “Damage Index.” J. Automobile Assessors XV 1964 3
- Robertson J. S. McLean A. J. Ryan G. A. “Traffic Accidents in Adelaide, South Australia.” Australian Road Research Board 1968
- National Safety Council “Vehicle Damage Scale for Traffic Accident Investigations.” Traffic Accident Data Project, Bulletin No. 1 1968
- Stonex K. A. Nelson W. D. Siegel A. W. Garrett J. W. Michalski C. S. “Collision Damage Severity Scale.” Paper 700136 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Mackay G. M. “Injury and Collision Severity.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680779
- Andreassend D. C. “The Effects of Compulsory Seat Belt Wearing Legislation in Victoria.” Natl. Road Safety Sym. Canberra March 1972
- Mackay G. M. “Airbag Effectiveness - A Case for the Compulsory Use of Seat Belts.” 14th Fisita Conf., Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers London June 1972 66 70