This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of Specially Designed Covers and Shields to Reduce Diesel Engine Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Possibilities of design and construction are presented by which the noise radiated by the surface of an engine can be reduced.
Vibration isolation, stiffening, or sound-reducing shells, can be applied within comparatively short time; however, their effect on reducing the total noise is restricted to about 5 dBA.
Total enclosure of the engine is highly effective. In this particular design, the space requirement is comparatively small, the weight increase is not too excessive, sound-absorbing material in the clearance is not required, and the noise reduction achieved is as high as 15-20 dBA.
New design concepts, taking into account acoustical principles right from the start, will be the most economical approach for the future. Knowledge of the structure-borne sound within the engine is essential in this respect; particularly, further knowledge gained through tests on the nonrunning engine, using a “banger rig” for simulating combustion excitation.
CitationThien, G., "The Use of Specially Designed Covers and Shields to Reduce Diesel Engine Noise," SAE Technical Paper 730244, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730244.
- Thien G. E. “Possibilities of Reducing the Noise Level of Diesel Engines.” July 1972 261 269
- Thien G. E. Fachbach H. “Noise Reduction on Diesel Engines through Changing External Engine Parts and Noise Reducing Enclosures.” May 1971 145 152
- Thien G. E. “A Contribution to Noise Reduction of High Speed Diesel Engines.” FISITA London 1972
- Austen A. E. W. Priede T. “Noise of Automotive Diesel Engines: Its Causes and Reduction.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 650165
- Priede T. Grover E. C. Lalor N. “Relation Between Noise and Basic Structural Vibration of Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 690450
- Thien G. E. “Mechanically Radiated Engine Noise, Sources and Control.” Seminar on Noise Control in Internal Combustion Engines University of Wisconsin Feb. 13 14 1969
- Thien G. E. Nowotny B. “Investigations on the Influence of Structure Borne Sound on Noise of Diesel Engines.” 1971 186 193
- Thien G. E. “Methods and Problems in Noise Reduction on High-Speed Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680407
- Cremer L. Heckl M. “Structure Vibration.” Berlin Springer 1967
- Jackson R. S. “The Performance of Acoustic Hoods at Low Frequencies.” Acoustica 12 1962 139 152
- Jackson R. S. “Some Aspects of the Performance of Acoustic Hoods.” Jrl. Sound Vibrations 3 1 1966 82 94
- Herrmann J. “Influence of Case to Noise of Gears and Design and Construction Possibilities of Noise Reduction.” Techn., Univ. Aachen 1963