This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Operating Cycle on Noise of Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 08, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The fundamental effect that cycle difference of a reciprocating internal combustion engine has on noise and performance, together with noise and vibration characteristics of 2- and 4-cycle diesel engines, is described.
Some of the conclusions drawn from extensive noise and vibration measurements include:
- 1.Variation in engine surface vibration and noise radiated is linearly related to a force input applied to the structure.
- 2.A method of predicting combustion noise levels of current automotive diesel engines.
- 3.A combination of engine performance calculations with relations for predicting overall engine noise in initial design stages.
CitationAnderton, D. and Baker, J., "Influence of Operating Cycle on Noise of Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 730241, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730241.
- Austen A. E. W. Priede T. “Origins of Diesel Engine Noise.” Symposium on Engine Noise Suppression, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. London 173 19 1959
- Priede T. “Relation Between the Form of Cylinder Pressure Diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. (AD) 1 1960-1961
- Anderton D. Grover E. C. Lalor N. Priede T. “Origins of Reciprocating Engine Noise-Its Characteristics, Prediction and Control.” ASME paper 70-WA/DGP-3 1970
- Darby G. C. “Response of an In-line Diesel Engine Structure to Impulsive Gas Forces.” 1968 69 Southampton University England
- “Assessment and Control of Combustion Induced Noise in I.C. Engines.” Combustion Engine Progress 1969
- Chan C.M.P. “Electromagnetic Excitation of Engine Structures.” I.S.V.R. Memorandum No. 475 September 1972
- Kinsler L. E. Frey A. R. “Fundamentals of Acoustics.” John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1962
- Chan C. M. P. Anderton D. “The Correlation of Machine Structure Surface Vibration and Radiated Noise.” Internoise 72 Proceedings Washington, D.C. Oct. 4-6 1972
- Priede T. Grover E. C. Anderton D. “Combustion Induced Noise in Diesel Engines.” Diesel Engine Users Assn. London 1967 paper 317
- Priede T. Grover E. C. Lalor N. “Relation Between Noise and Basic Structural Vibration of Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690450