This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Results of a Study to Determine Accident Causes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of an accident investigation project conducted by the Indiana University Institute for Research in Public Safety for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are presented. The study focused on the statistical determination of the relative roles played by human, environmental and vehicle deficiencies in automobile accident causation. This paper emphasizes the examination of the role of the vehicle.
The study was based in Monroe County, Indiana. Data were collected on three levels: baseline data were assembled to allow definition of the project universe; accidents were investigated on-site at the time of occurrence by technicians; and a sample of these accidents was independently examined by a multidisciplinary team. Causative factors were identified and ranked.
Vehicle-related deficiencies were identified as having a probable involvement as either causative or severity-increasing factors, in not less than 14% of accidents investigated. A definite involvement as causative factors was established in not less than 6% of accidents investigated.
A comparison of component outage rates of the accident-involved vehicles and vehicles of the nonaccident population is also presented.
CitationTreat, J. and Joscelyn, K., "Results of a Study to Determine Accident Causes," SAE Technical Paper 730230, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730230.
- Arthur D. Little, Inc. “The State-of-the-Art of Traffic Safety.” New York Praeger Publishers 1970
- Eames W. Lee S. Fell J. “State-of-the-Art-Motor Vehicle Accident Studies.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700437
- Brenner R. Bradford L. Parker G. “State-of-the-Art-Motor Vehicle Inspection.” 1970 International Automobile Safety Conference 30 paper 700380 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1970
- Joscelyn K. B. Treat J. R. “Interim Report on A Study to Determine the Relationship Between Vehicle Defects and Crashes: Methodology.” Interim Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under Contract No. DOT-HS-034-2-263 Nov. 1 1971
- Fisher, F. G. Jr. Eidemiller R. Biche P. “Final Report for Inspection of Motor Vehicles in Bloomington, Indiana and Monroe County.” Final Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under Contract No. DOT-HS-094-1-130 March 31 1972