This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Throttling of 2-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines at Part-Load and Idling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the part-load and idling characteristics of 2-stroke cycle diesel engines, the effect of throttling on engine performance was investigated on a separately scavenged engine with a Roots blower and on a crankcase-scavenged engine.
For the first engine, it was found that decreasing the delivery ratio through bypassing a part of scavenging air into the inlet side, that is, by recirculation of scavenging air, made it possible not only to decrease the fuel consumption but also to raise the scavenging temperature which improved combustion.
Also, a vehicle test using a bus powered by the same type of engine showed improved mileage through throttling.
For the crankcase-scavenged engine, it was found that a slight increase in delivery ratio was very effective for improving the performance at low speed with heavy load, and throttling was also effective in improving not only the part-load but also the idling operation.
CitationWatanabe, E., Fukutani, I., Komotori, K., and Miyake, K., "Throttling of 2-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines at Part-Load and Idling," SAE Technical Paper 730187, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730187.
- Schweitzer P. H. Hussmann A. W. Sieminski A. “Lycoming-S & H Multifuel Engine Developed for Army is Light and Simple.” SAE Jrl 72 7 July 1964 36
- List H. “High-Speed, High-Output, Loop-Scavenged Two-Cycle Diesel Engines.” SAE Transactions 48 1957 781
- Stankewitsch L. “Luftaufwand im Teillastbereich eines Zweitakt-Dieselmotors.” MTZ 23 1962 12 454
- Maekawa M. “On the Nozzles at Low Reynolds Numbers with a View of Measuring Pulsating Flow of Gases.” Trans. Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs. 37 209 1934 599
- Pinolini F. Spiers J. “Diesel Smoke-A Comparison of Test Methods and Smokemeters on Engine Test Bed and Vehicle.” 690491 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Chicago 1969
- List H. “Der Ladungswechsel der Verbrennungskraftmaschine.” Springer Verlag 4 1950 2 45
- Asanuma T. Sawa N. “On the Effects of Intake Pipe System in a Small Two-Stroke Cycle Gasoline Engine.” Trans. Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs. 25 1959 156 834
- Nagao F. Shimamoto U. Miyake M. “Effect of the Induction Pipe in a Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Cycle Engine.” Trans. Japan Soc. Mech. Engrs. 26 1961 171 1675 “The Effect of Crankcase Volume and the Inlet System on the Delivery Ratio of Two-Stroke Cycle Engines,” SAE Transactions 76
- Ishigami S. “On Scavenging of the Crankcase Compression Type Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engine.” Technical Reviews Kogoshima University 2 1962 23
- Schweitzer P. H. “Scavenging of Two-Stroke Cycle Diesel Engines.” New York Macmillian 1949 192
- Komotori K. Watanabe E. “A Study of the Delivery Ratio Characteristics of Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engines.” SAE Transactions 78 1969