This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Tire Slip on the Handling Performance of Tractor-Semitrailers in Braking Maneuvers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automatic braking control systems for trucks and tractor-semitrailers have become the subject of a sizeable research and development effort. These devices can provide improved vehicle stability and control characteristics in braking maneuvers. An analysis utilizing a mathematical model of a tractor-semitrailer vehicle yielded the following results: Favorable stability and control characteristics in braking maneuvers are maintained when front wheels do not lock, tractor rear-wheel longitudinal slip remains less than front-wheel longitudinal slip, and semitrailer rear wheels do not lock. Effects of kingpin (fifth wheel) location and introduction of coulomb friction at the kingpin are also discussed.
CitationOlsson, G., "Effects of Tire Slip on the Handling Performance of Tractor-Semitrailers in Braking Maneuvers," SAE Technical Paper 730184, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730184.
- “Motor Vehicle Safety Potentials for Progress.” Presidential Task Force on Highway Safety Society of Automotive Engineers Dec. 1 1969
- Tignor S. C. “Braking Performance of Motor Vehicles as Found Operating on Public Highways.” SAE Transactions 73 1965 416 440
- “Stopping ‘Heavies’ Without Skids (AP Antilok Braking System).” 204 1967 50 51
- Denholm M. J. Lueck F. E. Bush J. W. “Make the Trucks Stop, Too.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 700114
- Haviland G. S. “Automatic Brake Control for Trucks-What Good Is It.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 680591
- Latvala B. E. Morse R. J. “Adaptive Anti-Lock Braking-A Reality for Air Braked Vehicles.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 700112
- Lister R. D. Wilkins H. A. Neilson I. D. “Some Tests on an Articulated Commercial Unit Fitted with Load Sensitive Brake Apportioning Valves.” Road Research Laboratory, Ministry of Transport England February 1966
- Wilkins H. A. “An Assessment of the Dunlop Maxeret Antilocking Braking System Fitted to an Articulated Vehicle.” Road Research Laboratory, Ministry of Transport 1968
- Wilkins H. A. Chinn B. P. “An Assessment of the Automotive Products ‘Antilok’ Anti-Locking Braking System Fitted to an Articulated Vehicle.” Road Research Laboratory, Ministry of Transport 1968
- Wilkins H. A. “Assessment of the Hope Anti-Jackknife Device.” Road Research Laboratory, Ministry of Transport 1968
- “Mather Control Unit.” Brochure The Mather Co.
- Olsson G. R. Fielding P. G. “Applicability of Braking Control Systems to Highway Vehicles.” Federal Highway Administration December 1970
- Leucht P. M. “The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 700371
- Dugoff H. Fancher P. S. Segel L. “An Analysis of Tire Traction Properties and Their Influence on Vehicle Dynamic Performance.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 700377
- Sedov L. “Similarity and Dimensional Methods in Mechanics.” New York Academic Press 1959
- Bogoliubov N. N. Mitropolsky Y. A. “Asymptotic Methods in the Theory of Non-Linear Oscillations.” New York Gordon and Breach second 1961
- Cole J. D. “Perturbation Methods in Applied Mathematics.” Waltham, Mass. Blaisdell 1968
- Kabakow H. A. “A Perturbation Procedure for Nonlinear Oscillations.” California Institute of Technology 1969