This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Digital Computer Method for the Prediction of Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The simulation of the longitudinal performance of trucks and articulated vehicles requires careful attention to tandem axle dynamics, the brake system model, and the tire model. The approach which was taken to these problems in a recently developed digital simulation is given. Results for the braking performance of an articulated vehicle and a straight truck are compared to empirical data. In addition, simulation results are given for the articulated vehicle equipped with a simple antiskid system.
CitationBernard, J., "A Digital Computer Method for the Prediction of Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers," SAE Technical Paper 730181, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730181.
- Dugoff H. Murphy R. W. “The Dynamic Performance of Highway Vehicles-A Review of the State-of-the-Art.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710223
- Ellis J. R. “The Dynamics of Vehicles During Braking.” Symposium Control of Vehicles, Automobile Division London Inst. Mech. Engrs. 1963 20 29
- Bode O. Görge W. “Mathematical Investigation of the Braking Performance of Articulated Vehicles.” 49 1961
- Limpert R. “An Investigation of the Brake Force Distribution of Tractor-Semitrailer Combinations.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710044
- North M. R. Oliver S. J. “Transient Load Transfer in an Articulated Vehicle Under Braking Conditions.” M.I.R.A. Report No. 1967/7 June 1967
- Mikulcik E. C. “The Dynamics of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles: The Jackknifing Problem.” Cornell University June 1968
- Leucht P. M. “The Directional Dynamics of the Commercial Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicle During Braking.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700371
- Winkler C. B. “The Measurement of Inertial Properties and Suspension Parameters of Heavy Highway Vehicles.” Paper 730182 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Tielking J. T. Fancher P. S. Wild R. E. “Mechanical Properties of Truck Tires.” Paper 730183 SAE International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1973
- Murphy R. W. Bernard J. E. Winkler C. B. “A Computer Based Mathematical Method for Predicting the Braking Performance of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” Phase I Report Highway Safety Research Institute, Univ. of Michigan Sept. 15 1972
- Dugoff H. Fancher P. S. Segel L. “Tire Performance Characteristics Affecting Vehicle Response to Steering and Braking Control Inputs.” Final Report May 1968 August 1969 Office of Vehicle Systems Research, National Bureau of Standards August 1969