This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Caterpillar imep Meter and Engine Friction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A report on a detailed evaluation of cylinder pressure measurement was made in 1967 by the author. At the beginning of that paper, the primary importance of cylinder pressure measurement was pointed out. Pressure is the means by which work is extracted from the gases; the cycle is known only to the extent that this work function ∫PdV is known. At the end of that paper, it was concluded that cylinder pressure could be measured accurately enough to determine imep and that complete electronic determination of imep was needed. A system for determining imep electronically with excellent accuracy has been developed and has been in use for several years. This paper describes the Caterpillar indicated mean effective pressure (imep) meter and gives a sample of the information it can provide.
CitationBrown, W., "The Caterpillar imep Meter and Engine Friction," SAE Technical Paper 730150, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730150.
- Brown W. L., “Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurement.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, paper 670042.
- Alyea J. W., “The Development and Evaluation of an Electronic Indicated Horsepower Meter.” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Wisconsin, 1968.
- Alyea J. W., “The Development and Evaluation of an Electronic Indicated Horsepower Meter.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 78 (1969), paper 690181.
- Gish, et al., “Determination of True Engine Friction.” SAE Transactions, Vol. 66 (1958), p. 649.
- Wallace B. and Robinson J. A., “An Electronic Device for the Automatic Determination of Average Engine Cylinder Pressures.” Paper 471E presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1962.
- Ohigashi S., et al., “An Electronic Device for Measuring an Indicated Mean Effective Pressure.” Paper T49 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, January 1961.
- Emschermann H. H., “Electronic Equipment for the Direct Measurement of Indicated Mean Effective Pressure.” VDI-Zeitschrift, Vol. 101, No. 15 (May 21, 1959), pp. 589-594.