This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of the Extent of Abnormal Combustion by Means of an External Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The detection of cyclic dispersion, knocking, preignition, misfiring and other phenomena related with abnormal combustion in spark ignition engines has been extensively studied in the past. The transducers most commonly used detect pressure and/or ionization in the combustion chamber.
By employing transducers that detect engine head movement it has been possible to examine these phenomena without particular engine modifications, thus enabling measurements to be made in commercial cars. These transducers are used in conjunction with electronic apparatus that gives quantitative measurements of the extent of the abnormal combustion.
Results obtained by these means are reported with particular emphasis on high speed knock (a problem presently encountered with European cars), preignition and misfiring. On the basis of the test results a technique is developed utilizing the electron scanning microscope to recognize a posteriori if the piston failure is due to knock or preignition.
CitationCornetti, G., Arrigoni, V., Sezzi, F., and Zanoni, G., "Measurement of the Extent of Abnormal Combustion by Means of an External Device," SAE Technical Paper 730085, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730085.
- Morris W. E. Fariss D. C. “Thudding in High Compression Ratio Engines.” SAE Transactions 67 1959 134 137
- Starkman E. S. Bonora A. “Some Observations of the Effect of Lubricating Oil Properties on Combustion Generated Engine Vibrations.” SAE Transactions 77 1969 paper 690451
- Affleck W. S. Fish A. “Knock Flame Acceleration or Spontaneous Ignition?” Combustion and Flames 12 3 June 1968
- Arrigoni V. Cornetti G. Gaetani B. Ghezzi P. “Quantitative Systems for Measuring Knock.” Proc. Inst. of Mech. Engrs., Pngs 186 1972 48 72
- Lewis B. von Elbe G. “Combustion, Flames and Explosion of Gases.” New York London Academic Press Inc. 1961
- Sokolik A. S. “Self-Ignition, Flame and Detonation in Gases.” Israel Program for Scientific Translations Jerusalem 1963
- Curry S. “A Three-Dimensional Study of Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine.” SAE Transactions 71 1963 628
- Echols L. S. Curry S. “The Effect of Antiknocks on Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine.” Ninth Symposium (International) on Combustion August 1962 1064
- Martini K. H.
- Satdelmann W. 73 1971 8 281 185
- Allwood H. I. S. Harrow G. A. Rose L. J. “A Multichannel Electronic Gating and Counting System for the Study of Cyclic Dispersion, Knock and Weak Mixture Combustion in Spark Ignition Engines.” SAE Transactions 79 1970 paper 700063
- Weismann J. Paris 1970 181 207
- Arrigoni V. Calvi F. Cornetti G. Gaetani B. “Cycle-by-Cycle Variations in the Present Spark Ignition Engines.” ATA Congress Milan November 1971
- Downs D. Theobald F. B. “The Effect of Fuel Characteristics and Engine Operating Conditions of Pre-Ignition.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs. 178 1963 64 4
- Arrigoni V. Cornetti G. Gaetani B. Vicenzetto F. Sezzi F. “A Quantitative System for Measuring Pre-Ignition.” ATA Review November 1968
- Sezzi F. Vicenzetto F. Cornetti G. Arrigoni V. Biancucci S. “The Relationship between Engine Parameters, Fuel Composition, Detonation and Preignition.” Paper presented at ATA Congress Turin June 1969
- Arrigoni V. Cornetti G. Rossini G. 8 9 September 1971
- Sezzi F. Cornetti G. Arrigoni V. Vicenzetto F. Biancucci S. “Possible Mechanism of Piston Failure due to Detonation and Pre-Ignition” Paper presented at ATA Congress Turin June 1969
- Arrigoni V. Cornetti G. Gaetani B. Vicenzetto F. Maestrelli M. “Present Considerations on Deposits and Spark-Plug Ignition” Paper presented at ATA Congress Turin June 1969
- Jost W. “Explosions and Combustion Processes in Gases” New York McGraw-Hill 1946 509
- Chiampo P. De Cristofaro F. Gozzelino R. “High Speed Knock and Flame Propagation” Paper presented at ATA Congress Milan November 1971
- Arrigoni V. Gaetani B. Zanoni G. “Apparatus for the Detection of High Speed Knock in Commercial Engines” ATA August 1968