This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Preliminary Model for the Formation of Nitric Oxide in Direct Injection Diesel Engines and Its Application in Parametric Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A semiempirical, mathematical model describing the formation of nitric oxide in direct-injection diesel engines is derived. The model is used in conjunction with injection and thermodynamic cycle simulation programs. This approach enables prediction of nitric oxide emissions from design dimensions and operating parameters only, without the use of experimental data.
Predicted results are compared with experiments for typical naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines. The accuracy of prediction is very good except under light-load naturally aspirated conditions.
The model is used in an extensive parametric study, together with experimental verification. The agreement between prediction and experiments is excellent, except under conditions of excessive smoke or of high swirl.
CitationShahed, S., Chiu, W., and Yumlu, V., "A Preliminary Model for the Formation of Nitric Oxide in Direct Injection Diesel Engines and Its Application in Parametric Studies," SAE Technical Paper 730083, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730083.
SAE 1973 Transactions
Number: V82-A; Published: 1975-01-01
Number: V82-A; Published: 1975-01-01
- “Nationwide Inventory of Air Pollutant Emissions, 1968.” U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare, Public Health Service NAPCA Publ. No. AP-73 August 1970
- Hurn R. W. “Air Pollution and the Compression Ignition Engine.” XII Symposium (International) on Combustion 1969 677 687
- Harkins J. Goodwine J. K. “Oxides of Nitrogen and Diesel Exhaust.” Jrl. of APCA January 1969
- Yumlu V. S. Carey A. W. “Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Four Stroke, Direct Injection, Compression Ignition Engines.” Paper 680420 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Detroit May 1968
- Perez J. M. Landen E. W. “Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Precombustion Chamber Engines.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680421
- Bascom R. C. Broering L. C. Wulfhorst D. E. “Design Factors that Affect Diesel Emissions.” Paper 710484 , Engineering Know-how in Engine Design, SAE SP-365 July 1971
- Marshall W. F. Hurn R. W. “Factors Influencing Diesel Emissions.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680528
- Hames R. J. Merrion D. F. Ford H. S. “Some Effects of Fuel Injection System Parameters on Diesel Exhaust Emissions.” Paper 710671 SAE National West Coast Meeting Vancouver, B. C. August 1971
- Valdmanis E. Wulfhorst D. E. “The Effects of Emulsified Fuels and Water Injection on Diesel Combustion.” Paper 700736 SAE National Farm, Construction and Industrial Machinery Meeting Milwaukee September 1970
- Burt R. Troth K. A. “Influence of Fuel Properties on Diesel Exhaust Emissions.” Proceedings of the Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 1961
- Carey A. W. “Smoke Reduction in Diesel Engines.” Paper 670224 SAE Mid-Continent Section February 1967
- Heywood J. B. Matthews S. M. Owen B. “Predictions of Nitric Oxide Concentrations in a Spark Ignition Engine Compared with Exhaust Measurements.” Paper 710011 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Lavoie G. A. Heywood J. B. Keck J. C. “Experimental and Theoretical Study of Nitric Oxide Formation in Internal Combustion Engines.” Combustion Sci. & Tech. 1 1970 313
- Daniel W. A. Wentworth J. T. “Exhaust Gas Hydrocarbons Genesis & Exodus.” Paper 486B SAE National Automobile Week Detroit March 1962 New York Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1964
- Tabaczynski R. J. Heywood J. B. Keck J. C. “Time Resolved Measurements of Hydrocarbon Mass Flow Rate in the Exhaust of a Spark-Ignition Engine.” Paper 720112 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1972
- Bracco F. V. “NO Formation in Droplet Diffusion Flames.” Western States Section Meeting of Combustion Institute October 1971
- Henein N. A. “Combustion and Emissions Formation in Fuel Sprays Injected in Swirling Air.” Paper 710220 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Khan I. M. Greeves G. Probst D. M. “Prediction of Soot and Nitric Oxide Concentration in Diesel Engine Exhaust.” Conference on Air Pollution Control in Transport Engines of Inst. of Mech. Engrs. November 1971
- Bastress E. K. Chng K. M. Dix D. M. Murad R. J. “Control of Nitrogen Oxide Emission from Diesel Engines-A Theoretical Analysis.” Northern Research Engineer Corp. Rept. No. 1160-1 June 1971
- Lyn W. T. “Study of Burning Rate and Nature of Combustion in Diesel Engines.” IX Symposium (International) on Combustion 1963 1069
- Borman G. L. “Mathematical Simulation of Internal Combustion Engine Processes and Performance Including Comparisons with Experiment.” Mech. Engrg. Dept., University of Wisconsin Madison 1964
- Rosselli A. Badgley P. “Simulation of the Cummins Diesel Injection System.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710570
- Lyn W. T. Valdmanis E. “The Effects of Physical Factors on Ignition Delay.” Proceedings of Inst. of Mech. Engrs. 181 1 1966 34 50
- Frederick J. P. Kahlenbeck P. R. “Cummins Technical Center.” Paper 690779 , SAE SP-350 Facilities for Engine Testing of Fuels and Lubricants October 1969
- SAE Recommended Practice, Measurement of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, and Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust-SAE J177 June 1970 SAE Handbook
- Muzio L. J. Newhall H. K. Starkman E. S. “Spatial and Temporal History of Nitrogen Oxides in the Spark Ignition Combustion Chamber.” Conference on Air Pollution Control in Transport Engines, Inst. of Mech. Engrs. November 1971
- Shahed S. M. Newhall H. K. “Kinetics of Nitric Oxide Formation in Propane-Air and Hydrogen-Air-Diluent Flames.” Combustion and Flame 17 2 October 1971 131 137
- JANAF Interim Thermochemical Data Tables, Joint Army-Navy-Air Force Thermochemical Panel, ARPA Program USAF Contract AF33 (616)-6149 Dow Chemical Corp. Midland, Mich. 1960