This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A High Energy Level Pneumatic Energy Absorbing Bumper
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1973 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new concept in pneumatic energy absorbing bumper systems for motor vehicles has been developed, the dynamic testing of which demonstrates considerable promise in dissipating large blocks of energy in an accident situation. Having a flexible front section molded from a castable elastomer, the pressurized system is equipped with relief valves that open at a predetermined pressure during collision, thus dissipating energy.
CitationGieck, J., Weitzenhof, D., and Merz, E., "A High Energy Level Pneumatic Energy Absorbing Bumper," SAE Technical Paper 730029, 1973, https://doi.org/10.4271/730029.
- Gieck J. E. “Design with Air Springs.” Product Engineering November 1962
- Merz E. J. Burnes J. A. McClure S. R. “Landing Impact Protection Through a Hybrid Attenuation System.” AIAA/ASME 11th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference Denver April 1970
- Gieck J. E. “Studying Brake Noise with Ultra Slow Motion Photography.” SAE Transactions 74 1966 paper 650489
- Myers W. M. “Development of Energy-Dissipating Plastic Honeycomb.” General Electric Government Contract Document 68SD4264 June 1968
- Bresie D. “Practical Limits for Balsa Impact Limiters.” NASA Report S-67-7287 1966
- Niebylski L. M. Fanning R. J. “Metal Foams as Energy Absorbers for Automobile Bumpers.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720490
- NASA CR-235, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Report NASA Langley Field, Va.
- Published Report No. TSB120 Hexel Dublin, Calif.
- NASA CR-93, National Aeronautics and Space Administration Report NASA Langley Field, Va
- Limbert F. J. Persin W. J. “Impact Testing of High-Density Semirigid Urethane Foam for Automotive Bumper Applications.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720132
- Withrow, J. D. Jr. Renneker D. N. “The 1973 Chrysler Energy Absorbing Bumper System.” Paper 720491 SAE National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit May 1972
- Nelson H. M. “GM Bumper System Bows.” Automotive Industries Feb. 1 1972
- Kendall G. A. “The Menasco Energy Absorbing Unit and Its Application to Bumper Systems.” Paper 710536 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Montreal June 1971
- Taylor D. P. “Application of The Hydraulic Shock Absorber to a Vehicle Crash Protection System.” Paper 710537 SAE Mid-Year Meeting Montreal June 1971