This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinear Viscoelastic Model for Head Impact Injury Hazard
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study explores the application of viscoelastic modeling for characterization of the response of the brain to impulsive loading with the objective of learning whether such models could exhibit the same time dependency of strain or likelihood of injury, as exhibited by the Severity Index, HIC Index, Wayne Tolerance Curve, and other similar representations of tolerance.
The mathematical relationships between viscoelastic properties and the corresponding time dependency of tolerance are shown for Newtonian, Bingham plastic, and Pseudo-Bingham, as well as more general behavior.
Preliminary static and dynamic tests upon small mammalian material are described with particular attention given to strain in the vicinity of the brainstem as a function of loading profile.
Both the theoretical and experimental results show that the falling time dependency of the above indexes can be interpreted in terms of nonlinear viscoelastic response.
|Technical Paper||Application of Fibre-Reinforced Composites in the Car Side Structure|
|Technical Paper||Plastic Material Modeling for FMVSS 201 Simulation|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Energy-Absorbing Mechanism of Plastic Ribs|
CitationHaut, R., Gadd, C., and Madeira, R., "Nonlinear Viscoelastic Model for Head Impact Injury Hazard," SAE Technical Paper 720963, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720963.
- Eiband A. M. “Human Tolerance to Rapidly Applied Accelerations: A Summary of the Literature.” NASA Memorandum May 19 1959 June 1959
- Fraser T. M. “Human Response to Sustained Acceleration.” NASA-SP-103 Scientific and Technical Information Div., NASA Washington, D.C. 1966
- Gurdjian E. S. et al. “Observations on the Mechanism of Brain Concussion, Contusion, and Laceration.” Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics December 1955 680 690
- Dunn F. Fry F. J. “Ultrasonic Threshold Dosages for the Mammalian Central Nervous System.” Transactions on Biomedical Engineering July 1971 253 256
- Gadd C. W. “Criteria for Injury Potential.” Proc. Symposium on Impact Acceleration Stress, Nat'l Acad. of Science-Natl Res. Council Pub. 977 Washington, D.C. 1962 141 144
- Kornhauser M. Gold A. “Application of the Impact Sensitivity Method of Animate Structures.” Nat'l Acad. of Science-Nat'l Res. Council Pub. 977 Washington, D.C. 1962 333 343
- Payne P. R. “An Analogue Computer Which Determines Human Tolerance to Acceleration.” Nat'l Acad. of Science-Nat'l Res. Council Pub. 977 Washington, D.C. 1962 271 296
- Ommaya A. “Mechanical Properties of Tissues of the Nervous System.” Jrl. Biomechanics Pergamon Press 1 1968 127 138
- Galford J. E. McElhaney J. H. “Some Viscoelastic Properties of Scalp, Brain, and Dura.” ASME Paper 69-BHF-7 1969
- Koeneman J. B. “Viscoelastic Properties of Brain Tissue.” Cass Inst. of Technology 1966
- Haut R. C. Little R. W. “A Constitutive Equation for Collagen Fibers.” Jrl. Biomechanics 5 1972 423 430
- Dodgson M. C. H. “Colloidal Structure of Brain.” Biorheology 1 1962 21 30
- McElhaney J. H. Stalnaker R. L. Estes M. S. “Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Scalp and Brain.” Proceedings of Sixth Annual Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium May 5-6 1969