This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Validation of a Computer Simulation of a Crash Victim in Three Dimensions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A three-dimensional mathematical model of the crash victim has been developed and experimentally validated at the Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory. The digital computer simulation includes a body dynamics model of 40 degrees of freedom and a contact model that generates forces from contact with vehicle surfaces and between body segments of the crash victim, and restraint forces from belts and inflatable restraints. The validity of the computer simulation was determined from comparisons of predicted responses with those measured in various experiments, including static bench tests, pendulum tests, impact sled tests, and a full-scale automobile crash test. Inputs to the computer program were based on detailed measurements of dummy characteristics and measured properties of the contact surfaces and restraints. The generally good agreement between the simulation and experimental results, plus the relatively low cost of exercising the model, demonstrate that the computer program is a useful engineering tool.
CitationBartz, J., "Development and Validation of a Computer Simulation of a Crash Victim in Three Dimensions," SAE Technical Paper 720961, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720961.
- Bartz J.A. “A Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Victim-Phase 1-Development of the Computer Program.” CAL Report No. VJ-2978-V-1 July 1971
- Bartz J.A. Butler F.E. “A Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of a Motor Vehicle Crash Victim-Phase 2Validation of the Model.” CAL Report No. VJ-2978-V-2 August 1972
- Robbins D.H. Bennett R.O. Roberts V.L. “HSRI Three-Dimensional Crash Victim Simulator: Analysis, Verification, and User's Manual, and Pictorial Section.” Highway Safety Research Institute Report No. BIO-M-70-9 June 1971
- Furusho H. Yokoya K. “Analysis of Occupant's Movements in Head-On Collision-Part 2. In the Case of Oblique Collision.” Collection of Preprint Volume 1 1970 Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan Kang Sang-Wook Dr.
- Young R.D. “A Three-Dimensional Model of an Automobile Passenger.” Texas Transportation Institute Research Report 140-2 August 1970
- Shoemaker N.E. “Research and Development of an Advanced Inflatable Occupant Restraint System.” CAL Report No. YB-2985-V-1 September 1971
- DeLeys N.J. Segal D.J. Patten J.S. “Underride/Override of Automobile Front Structures in Intervehicular Collisions-Volume 2-Car-to-Car Head-on Impacts.” CAL Report No. VJ-2844-V-3 December 1971