This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Dynamic Response of Viscoelastic Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A brief discussion of the sources of damping is given and methods of mathematically modeling the liner sources of damping are discussed. It is shown that the most general linear model corresponds to a system that is linearly viscoelastic. The techniques applied in problem formulation are based on finite element models which utilize lumped masses. Transform and state space methods of solution are discussed and compared. Transient solutions for forcing functions of exponential order or less are given.
CitationHobbs, G., "Transient Dynamic Response of Viscoelastic Structures," SAE Technical Paper 720812, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720812.
- Hobbs G. K. “Transient Dynamic Response of Viscoelastic Structures.” University of California Santa Barbara April 1970
- Lazan B. J. “Damping of Materials and Members in Structural Mechanics.” New York Pergamon Press 1968
- Malone D. W. “Transient Dynamic Response of Structures and Continua.” M.I.T. March 1969
- Zener C. “Elasticity and Anelasticity of Metals.” Chicago University of Chicago Press 1948
- Hobbs G. K. “Methods of Treating Damping in Structures.” AIAA/ASME Twelfth Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference Anaheim, California April 1971
- Foss K. A. “Co-ordinates Which Uncouple the Equations of Motion of Damped Linear Dynamic Systems.” American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1958
- Fung Y. C. “Foundations of Solid Mechanics.” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1965
- Hobbs G. K. “Methods of Modeling and Analyzing Viscoelastically Damped Structures.” ASME Vibrations Conference Toronto September 1971
- Benton M. D. Dickerson J. M. Hobbs G. K. “Dynamic Analysis of Complex Structures.” 37th Shock and Vibration Bulletin January 1968 173 192
- Ogata K. “State Space Analysis of Control Systems.” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1967
- Elgerd O. I. “Control Systems Theory.” New York McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1967
- Pestel E. C. Leckie F. A. “Matrix Methods in Elasto-Mechanics.” New York McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1963
- Hurty W. C. Rubinstein M. F. “Dynamics of Structures.” Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1964
- Morchduchow M. “On Classical Modes of a Damped Linear System.” Jrl. Applied Mechanics 28 3 September 1961 458