This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Fuel Filter and Water Separator for Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new fuel filter by Stanadyne is described. Its development, including shape and paper selection, is covered. The Master Filter makes use of unusual packaging concepts and techniques to overcome the ever-increasing problem of short filter life as diesel engine horsepower increases. Fuel filter paper evaluation, selection, and test results are described. Comparisons of, and arguments for, more realistic filter test methods are provided.
Supplementing the fuel filter is a new type of water separator using similar packaging concepts. This simple design provides very good capability for water removal at high flow rates. A water separator test method is outlined.
Both products offer contaminant visibility to encourage system maintenance.
|Technical Paper||Automotive Diesel Fuel Filter Qualification and Methodology for Military Wheeled and Tracked Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Determination of Wear Index to Predict Fuel Filtration Performance|
CitationRoosa, V. and Hodgkins, D., "Development of a Fuel Filter and Water Separator for Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 720777, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720777.
- Fairchild D. “How to Select Filters.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680258
- Dean J. H. “Nonwoven Fibrous Filter Media.” N. Y. Chapter Meeting of the Filtration Society November 1971
- Onion G. Rothwell A. J. “Laboratory Assessment of Diesel Fuel Filters.” Lubrication Group Meeting of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers London December 1961
- Bartlett P. J. “Diesel Fuel Filter Testing.” Paper 710814 SAE National Combined Fuels and Lubricants, Powerplant and Truck Meetings St. Louis October 1971
- Onion G. “Diesel Fuel Contamination and the Design and Application of Filters and Water Separators.” Filtration & Separation November December 1965