This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rail Mass Transportation System Planning and Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The noise produced by new high-speed rail rapid transit system operations is much less than traditionally expected due to modern design concepts and equipment which include specific features for reducing noise and vibration. Using data obtained from various operational and experimental rail transit vehicles and systems, the noise characteristics to be expected from new and proposed systems and equipment have been determined. The known and specified noise characteristics can be used during the planning of transit systems to determine the expected wayside or community noise levels for various types of way structures, vehicles, and operational conditions, and can also be used to determine design features or system characteristics which should be included for the control of noise. This permits the inclusion of noise as one of the factors affecting system planning and design.
CitationWilson, G., "Rail Mass Transportation System Planning and Noise," SAE Technical Paper 720664, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720664.
- “San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District Demonstration Project Technical Report No. 8, Acoustics Studies” Parsons Brinckerhoff-Tudor-Bechtel June 1968
- Salmon V. Oleson S. K. “Noise Control in the Bay Area Rapid Transit System, Final Report” Stanford Research Institute July 1966
- Wilson G. P. “Aerial Structure Noise & Vibration Measurements” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Berkeley, California October 1966
- Wilson G. P. “Diablo Test Track Noise & Vibration Measurements” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Berkeley, California June 1967
- Wilson G. P. “Transit Vehicle System Noise Comparisons for Baltimore Transit” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Berkeley, California November 1967
- Wilson G. P. “Transit Car Noise Levels” Parsons Brinckerhoff-Tudor-Bechtel May 29 1969
- Wilson G. P. “Community Noise from Rapid Transit Systems” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Berkeley, California May 1969
- Bender E. K. Heckl M. “Noise Generated by Subways Above Ground and In Stations” Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc. Report No. OST-ONA-70-1 January 1970
- Wilson G. P. “Noise and Vibration Characteristics of High Speed Transit Vehicles” Technical Report No. OST-ONA-71-7 Department of Transportation, Office of Noise Abatement June 1971
- Murray R. J. Hunt A. D. Mair D. W. “Noise and Vibration Studies, Track Fastenings” Report RD106 Toronto Transit Commission May 1967
- Murray R. J. Hunt A. D. Mair D. W. “Noise and Vibration Studies, Investigation of Noise and Vibration in Buildings Adjacent to the Bloor-Danforth Subway” Toronto Transit Commission Rept. No. RD105 May 1967
- Bruce R. D. Bender E. K. Ungar E. E. “Noise and Vibration Measurements in the Toronto Transit Commission Subway” Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc. Report 1899 November 26 1969
- Bender E. K. Kurze U. J. Nayak P. R. Ungar E. E. “Effects of Rail-Fastener Stiffness of Vibration Transmitted to Buildings Adjacent to Subways” Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc. Report 1832 August 28 1969
- Wilson G. P. “Direct Fixation Trackwork Fasteners for the WMATA Metro System” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Report April 1970
- Bender E. K. Kurze U. J. Ungar E. E. “Effects of Resiliently Mounted Track Slabs on Noise and Vibration” Bolt Beranek and Newman, Inc. Report 1878 September 5 1969
- Clayden K. J. C. “Noise and Vibration Attenuation in the Barbican Scheme” Use of Rubber in Engineering Maclaren and Sons Ltd London 1967
- Wilson G. P. “Resiliently Mounted Track Slabs for the WMATA Metro System” Wilson, Ihrig & Associates, Inc. Report May 18 1970