This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Personal Rapid Transit Systems and Their Relationship to the Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents both qualitative and quantitative data on the relationship of emerging Personal Rapid Transit systems and the environment. Specific reference is made to comparison of these systems with the U.S. air pollutant inventory and with the automobile. Thermal pollution and reduction of power supply requirements for these transit systems are considered. Definitive specification information for interior/exterior noise levels, in comparison with other transportation modes and with background conditions, are provided. Visual aesthetics of guideway, station, and vehicle design are presented as the most challenging remaining problem in the integration of Personal Rapid Transit systems into the society.
CitationLazo, L. and Bohle, J., "Personal Rapid Transit Systems and Their Relationship to the Environment," SAE Technical Paper 720646, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720646.
- Hud Challenge February 1972 21
- Battelle Memorial Institute Columbus Laboratories The Federal R&D Plan for Air Pollution Controlled by Combustion Process Modification January 11 1971
- Agarwal Paul D. “Electric Car and Air Pollution” SAE Publication 710190 14
- Wilson P.W. 1971 “Rapid Transit Noise & Vibration” Rail Transit Conference of American Transit Association April 26
- Parsons, Brinkerhoff, Tudor, & Bechtel 1968 “Accoustic Studies” San Francisco Rapid Transit District June 157
- Silver Marshall L. “Vibration and Noise Consideration in the Development of PRT Systems.” Dept. of Materials Engineering, Univ. of Illinois Chicago Circle, Chicago Illinois 34
- Beranek Leo O. “Noise Reduction” New York 1960 518 520
- Bender E.K. Franken P.A. Bolt, Veranek, & Newman Inc. Boston, Mass. “Environmental Effects of Transportation Noise.”
- Public Service of Colorado
- San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District “Contract Documents for the Procurement of Transit Vehicle July 1967 S3-2