This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Many-Wheeled Noise Monsters Must Be Tamed!
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Trucks are the major source of noise on our streets and highways, affecting the sleep and sanity of millions of city and suburban residents. Truck noise sources are many, but mainly are engine and tires. Since the automotive and trucking industries have not volunteered to quiet truck noises, the Federal government will have to legally require they do so.
CitationBerland, T., "The Many-Wheeled Noise Monsters Must Be Tamed!," SAE Technical Paper 720623, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720623.
- Goodfriend Lewis S. “Control of Highway Noise.” Proc. First N. E. Conf. on Urban Planning for Environ. Health Tufts Univ. September 8-10 1965
- Brasch Jerome K. “Vehicular Traffic Noise Near High-Speed Highways.” Sound and Vibration December 1967 10 24
- Apps David C. “Automobile Noise.” Harris Cyril M. “Hand-book of Noise Control.” New York, N. Y. McGraw-Hill 1957
- Richter H. R. “The E.E.G. and the Impairment of sleep by Traffic Noise During the Night: A Problem of Preventive Medicine.” Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol. 23 1967 283 91
- Thiessen George J. “Effects of Noise During Sleep.” Symposium on Extra-Auditory Physiological Effects of Audible Sound, 134th meeting of American Association for the Advancement of Science Boston 28 December 1969
- WHO Chronicle October 1966
- Kleitman Nathaniel “Sleep,” Encyclopedia Britannica 1964 20 791 794
- Wilson Alan Sir et al. “Noise--Final Report.” HMSO 1963 64 65
- Congressional Record 112 8362 12 April 1966 112 17431 17440 4 August 1966
- Tomkins Silvan S. “Affect, Imagery, Consciousness.” 2 New York. N.Y. Springer Publishing Co. 1963 21 22
- Jansen Gerd “Measuring the Physiological Effects of Noise.” Documenta Geigy (Special issue on noise) 1967
- Apps David C. “Cars, Trucks and Tractors as Sources.” National Conference on Noise as a Public Health Hazard Washington, D.C. June 13-14 1968
- Cohen Alexander “Location-Design Control of Transportation Noise.” J. Urban Planning and Dev. Div. A.S.C.E. 93 December 1967 63 86
- Hirschorn Martin “The New York City Noise Code.” Letter to Sound and Vibration 2 November 1968 6
- Berland Theodore The Fight for Quiet Englewood Cliffs, N.J. Prentice Hall 1970 Prism Paperback 1971