This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction and Wear of Paper Type Wet Friction Elements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple model of the engagement process for paper friction materials has been conceived, consisting of squeeze film, squash film, and adhesive contact phases. In support of the model, laboratory test results are presented of paper clutch squeeze and squash film behavior in a new laboratory test fixture. Also scanning electron microscope photographs, profilometer data, and clutch inertia dynamometer friction and wear results are discussed in the context of the new engagement model.
|Technical Paper||The Shear Strength of Wet Friction Materials: Its Determination and Effect on the Life of Friction Materials|
|Technical Paper||Surface Finish Requirements of Spacer Plates for Paper Friction Applications|
CitationAnderson, A., "Friction and Wear of Paper Type Wet Friction Elements," SAE Technical Paper 720521, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720521.
- Smith G. R. Jandasek V. J. Sprague S. R. Springer R. B. “A New Concept of Measuring Frictional Characteristics.” SAE Transactions 70 1962 paper 363A
- Smith G. R. Ross W. D. Silbert P. L. Herndon W. B. “Putting Automatic Transmission Clutch Friction Researchers on Speaking Terms.” SAE Transactions 76 1967 paper 670051
- Davison E. D. “A New Bench Test for Evaluating Clutch Plate Lubrication,” Paper 642A SAE Annual Meeting Detroit January 1963
- Rodgers J. J. Haviland M. L. “Friction of Transmission Clutch Materials as Affected by Fluids, Additives and Oxidation.” Paper 194A SAE Midyear Meeting Chicago June 1960
- Sprague S. R. Cunningham R. G. “Chemical Additives Control Friction Characteristics of Lubricants.” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 51 9 September 1959 1047 1050
- Wu Hai “Squeeze Film Behavior for Porous Annular Disks.” Jrl. of Lubrication Technology October 1970
- Wu Hai “An Analysis of the Squeeze Film Between Porous Rectangular Plates.” Paper 71 Lub-2 ASLE-ASME Joint Lubrication Conference Pittsburgh October 1971
- Wu Hai “The Squeeze Film Between Rotating Porous Annular Disks,” Wear 18 1971 461 470
- Wu Hai “An Analysis of the Engagement of UnGrooved Wet Clutch Plates.” May 26 1971
- Albertson C. E. Okubo H. S. “Influence of Lubricant Breakdown on Frictional Performance.” Paper 642C SAE Annual Meeting Detroit January 1963