This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field Test of an Exhaust Gas Recirculation System for the Control of Automotive Oxides of Nitrogen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The California Air Resources Board conducted an extensive field test program to evaluate a vehicle exhaust recirculation system for control of oxides of nitrogen. The system utilized hot exhaust gases from the crossover and included certain modifications to the carburetion, choke, and crank case ventilation system. It was tested on two fleets of automobiles equipped wtih California approved HC and CO emission control devices. The test program involved periodic measurements of exhaust emissions and fuel consumption. The effect of the system on vehicle drivability, engine deposits, wear, and oil deterioration was also studied. The Atlantic Richfield Company, under contract to the Air Resources Board, equipped the vehicles with the recirculation system and performed the final engine inspection.
CitationChipman, J., Chao, J., Ingels, R., Jewell, R. et al., "Field Test of an Exhaust Gas Recirculation System for the Control of Automotive Oxides of Nitrogen," SAE Technical Paper 720511, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720511.
- Haagen-Smit A. J. “Chemistry and Physiology of Los Angeles Smog,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 44 June 1952 1342 1346
- Vigdortschik N. A. Andreeva E. C. Matussevitsch I. Z. Nikulina M. M. Frumina L. M. Striler V. A. “Symptomatology of Chronic Poisoning With Oxides of Nitrogen,” Jrl. of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology 19 1937 469 473
- Glasson W. A. Tuesday C. S. “The Atmospheric Photooxidation of Nitric Oxide.” 142nd National American Chemical Society Meeting September 1962
- California Health and Safety Code Division 26
- Daigh H. D. Deeter W. F. “Control of Nitrogen Oxides in Automotive Exhaust.” API Division of Refining May 1962 San Francisco
- Kopa R. D. Jewell R. G. Spangler R. V. “Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Automotive Ring Wear.” Paper S321 SAE Southern California Section March 1962
- Chandler J. M. Struck J. N. Voorheis W. J. “The Ford Approach to Exhaust Emission Control.” Paper 660163 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1966
- Beckman E. W. Fagley W. S. Sarto J. O. “Exhaust Emission Control by Chrysler-The Cleaner Air Package.” SAE Transactions 75 1967 paper 660107
- “California Exhaust Emission Standards and Test Procedures for 1971 and Subsequent Model Gasoline Powered Motor Vehicles Under 6,001 Pounds Gross Vehicle Weight.” California Air Resources Board Nov. 20 1968
- Deeter W. F. Daigh H. D. Wallin O. W. “An Approach for Controlling Vehicle Emissions.” SAE Transactions 77 1968 paper 680400