This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Systems Approach to Vehicle Emission Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1972 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust manifold thermal reactors, exhaust gas recirculation, exhaust particulate trapping systems, and appropriate engine adjustments have been combined to produce total emission control systems which reduce all gaseous and exhaust particulate emissions from passenger vehicles. The first generation system was developed to meet the former United States and State of California emission standards for 1975. Field service tests demonstrated that the emission standards were met, but unexpected operational problems were encountered. Solutions to these problems have been found.
Second generation total emission control systems are being developed in an attempt to meet the current United States emission standards for 1975 - 1976. These systems in their present state of development produce very low exhaust emission levels; the hydrocarbons are well below the standards and the carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide levels are quite close to the 1975 - 1976 standards. Possible approaches to reduce the emissions even further and alleviate partially the losses in fuel economy are discussed.
CitationCantwell, E., Hoffman, R., Rosenlund, I., and Ross, S., "A Systems Approach to Vehicle Emission Control," SAE Technical Paper 720510, 1972, https://doi.org/10.4271/720510.
- Cantwell E. N. Rosenlund I. T. Barth W. J. Kinnear F. L. Ross S. W. “A Progress Report on the Development of Exhaust Manifold Reactors SAE Transactions 78 1969 paper 690139
- Cantwell E. N. Rosenlund I. T. Barth W. J. Ross S. W. “Recent Developments in Exhaust Manifold Reactor Systems.” Presented to the Automobile Div., Institution Mech. Engrs. London, England May 11 1970
- Cantwell E. N. “A Total Exhaust Emission Control System.” Joint Meeting of Ontario and Quebec Chapters of Air Pollution Control Assn. Montebello, Quebec Sept. 20-22 1970
- Habibi K. Jacobs E. S. Kunz, W. G. Jr. Pastell D. L. “Characterization and Control of Gaseous and Particulate Exhaust Emissions From Vehicles.” Air Pollution Control Assn., West Coast Sect., Fifth Tech. Meeting San Francisco, Calif. Oct. 8-9 1970
- Department U.S. of Health, Education and Welfare “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register 33 2 Jan. 4 1968 California Air Resources Board Meeting of Jan. 21, 1970 Los Angeles, Calif
- Environmental Protection Agency “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines.” Federal Register 33 128 July 2 1971 California Air Resources Board Meeting of September 1971 Los Angeles, Calif
- Glass W. Russell F. R. Wade D. T. Hollabough D. M. “Evaluation of Exhaust Recirculation for Control of Nitrogen Oxides Emissions.” Paper 700146 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1970
- Musser G. S. Wilson J. A. Hyland R. G. Ashby H. A. “Effectiveness of Exhaust Gas Recirculation With Extended Use.” Paper 710013 SAE Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit January 1971
- Habibi K. “Automotive Particulate Emissions and Their Control.” Paper 710638 SAE MidMichigan and ACS Midland Sections Automotive Symposia Midland, Mich. October 1970
- Pierrard J. M. Crane R. A. “The Effects of Some Gasoline Compositional Factors on Atmospheric Visibility and Soiling.” SAE Transactions 81 1972 paper 720253
- California Air Resources Board Final Report Project CI “Evaluation of Vehicles Equipped With Du Pont Reactors.” Dec. 10 1971
- Campau R. M. “Low Emission Concept Vehicles.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710294
- Barth W. J. Cantwell E. N. “Automotive Exhaust Manifold Reactors- Materials Considerations.” 161st Meeting of American Chemical Society Los Angeles, Calif. April 1 1971
- Report Final “An Assessment of the Effects of Lead Additives in Gasoline on Emission Control Systems Which Might Be Used To Meet the 1975-76 Motor Vehicle Emission Standards.” Aerospace Corp. for Environmental Protection Agency Nov. 15 1971
- Blenk M. H. Franks R. G. E. “Math Modeling of an Exhaust Reactor.” SAE Transactions 80 1971 paper 710607
- Patterson D. J. et al. “Kinetics of Oxidation and Quenching of Combustibles in Exhaust Systems of Gasoline Engines.” Annual Progress Report No. 2 for CRC APRAC CAPE 8-68 Project by Dept. of Mech. Engrg. The University of Michigan 1971
- Epperly W. R. “Gasoline Composition and Air Pollution.” Presented at Public Hearing on Air Pollution of New Jersey Clean Air Council Trenton, N. J. April 9 1970
- Oberdorfer P. E. “Compression Ratio, Emissions, Octanes, and Fuel Economy-An Experimental Study.” 37th Mid-Year Meeting of the American Petroleum Institute, Div. of Refining New York May 8-11 1972